Defender MkIV ??

Started by Old Wombat, September 09, 2011, 07:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Hmm, are there some Whirlwind bits in there too, the tail is disguised but by I think it comes from that kit?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

JayBee

The fin makes me think of the DeH 88 Comet.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Old Wombat

Mossie got it! 2 Defiants & 1 Whirlwind. :cheers: , that man! ;D

I did a tiny bit yesterday (& put a coat of primer on - bugger, more PSR!) & I'll do a little more when I get off this computer but not much, because I've got to pick my daughter up from Army Cadets.

And thanks for the encouragement, guys! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

C-r-a-w-l-i-n-g forward but, hopefully, I should have her finished & photographed by the end of the weekend. :party:

I think she's lookin' good................ but there is the slightest possibility I might be biased. :P

Doc Yo

Looks like a winner to me!

Old Wombat

Thanks, Doc! ;D

Hi, Brian! Aves Apoxy Sculpt Rules!! :thumbsup:

OK, had a good run the last 36 hours, so I've finished ahead of schedule.

This is the first time that the photo's haven't shown up flaws that I missed but have, in fact, hidden a few.

Back story for those who are interested:

Due to the less than outstanding success of the (relatively) contemporary Defiant & Whirlwind, the British aircraft companies Boulton-Paul & Westland partnered up to product the B-P/W Defender Mk I. Combining the best elements of their respective designs they came up with a fast twin-engine turret-fighter powered by RR Merlin III engines, armed with 4 x .303 calibre machine guns in the same turret as used on the Defiant & 6 x .303 calibre machine guns mounted in the nose.

Misguidedly tasked as a day fighter the Defender was not quite up to the job. Although it did perform much better than the German Me. 110 it was too slow to out-run & insufficiently agile to out-turn single seat fighters such as the Me. 109 with subsequently high losses. These losses led to the Air Ministry almost cancelling orders for the aircraft but a need for night-fighters caused a stay of execution as the Defender squadrons were re-tasked to this role.

This is where the Defender 1st made its mark, with the Mk I proving to be considerably better & more versatile than the contemporary single-seat fighters & converted bombers. The aircraft of Defender squadrons all bore the legend "Comrades in Arms", as a memorial to those who died early in the war flying in Defiant & Battle squadrons from which most of the original crews came.

The short-lived Mk II trialled replacing the .303 mg's with American .50 cal mg's (4 in the nose & 2 in the turret).

The Mk III which replaced it returned to .303 mg's, with the usual 4 in the turret but only 4 in the nose. This was because the Mk III was fitted with an additional 4 x 20 mm Hispano cannon in a belly pack below the cockpit.

The Mk IV lost the nose .303's & the turret. These were replaced by an airborne RDF unit & its operator. Although now limited to only the 4 x 20 mm Hispano cannon, the Mk IV was an extremely effective night-time aerial interceptor.

Later Marks were mainly improvements in RDF/radar & engines, although the Defender did spawn the highly successful "Aggressor" fighter-bomber.

The Aggressor was, basically, a single-seat late-Mark Defender armed with 6 forward firing 20 mm Hispano cannon (2 x nose, 4 x belly pack) plus up to 2,000 lb's of bombs & 8 rockets.

Anyway, here she is in all her glory; the Boulton-Paul/Westland NF.2 Defender Mk IV....

Hope you like them! ;)

Let me know what you think. :blink:

arkon

love it. the paint rocks to!
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

buzzbomb

Womby...that is really nice.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oliv30330

very good work!!! excellent   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

OUTSTANDING!  :thumbsup:

That looks exactly like an aircraft designed by a mix of Boulton Paul and Westland would have turned out at that time too. Everywhere you look there's pointers to one or other of them. The engine nacelles, as twins, look MILES better than they ever did as singles on the nose of the Defiant.

Execllent work, both in plastic and thought.  :bow: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Top Job!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I agree with Kit, it looks the part, those slim nacelles could be a forerunner of the Hornets slimline Merlins. :party: :party: :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Very nice.  Quite plausible looking.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: why do i picture some Controller saying into a Mic,"Intruder Aircraft Detected,SCRAMBLE,SCRAMBLE!" with a Scramble Klaxon Going off and Brave RAF crews running to their Planes? Great Work,Top Notch Paint & Decals,All Around AWESOME!  :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Stargazer

To use the adequate saying, this really "looks the part"!!!  :thumbsup:

Weaver

Great looker!  :thumbsup:

I have something similar planned, but an earlier concept.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones