Toilet paper as masking material ?

Started by mkhulu, September 12, 2011, 01:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkhulu

Suitable or not ? Anybody used loo paper as a masking material ? Stick it down with Tamiya masking tape - spray and Bob's your Uncle

Cheers

PS - Finally made time to start my practicing the dark art of whiffery , scaled things down at work. Month end !
Going nowhere slowly

NARSES2

Most toilet paper I know of is far to porus to be used as masking material. The old shiny stuff they had in the school bog may have worked but not the tissue type ?? My tuppence worth anyway
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I tried it once & agree with Chris's comments, the paint tends to bleed through.  You could use it for some interesting camo effects though.

For a quick mask to cover large amounts of area I tried using cling film & plastic bags.  It works, but you've got to tape down the edges & make sure there are no rucks as the paint will finds it's way in even if you've got a few layers on.  I've heard others use foil, I tried the plastic because I didn't trust it on an acrylic finish but it should be easier to prevent rucks.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

beowulf

must admit i tend to use kitchen roll type paper when masking and not had any probs to date
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

NARSES2

Quote from: beowulf on September 12, 2011, 07:31:05 AM
must admit i tend to use kitchen roll type paper when masking and not had any probs to date

Probably thicker then toilet paper ?

I've used the plastic bag trick occaisionaly when using spray cans but I'm basically a brush painter
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 12, 2011, 01:53:50 AM
Most toilet paper I know of is far to porus to be used as masking material. The old shiny stuff they had in the school bog may have worked but not the tissue type ?? My tuppence worth anyway

Only ever  used the shiny stuff for tracing paper  in the last 30 years!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Quote from: beowulf on September 12, 2011, 07:31:05 AM

That's what I used, must have been a cheap roll!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

mkhulu

Going nowhere slowly

Bill TGH

strictly to guard against over spray, nothing beats paper towel... softer than foil, no static (cling wraps cling by static) and will absorb rather than pass through any moisture (I spray acrylics)
cheers
Bill TGH

{..its all about completion... not perfection }

Wanted - 1 Kidney,
call Sue Melvin, Living Donor Coordinator, Saint John Regional Hospital

NARSES2

Quote from: Bill TGH on September 13, 2011, 03:34:01 PM
strictly to guard against over spray, nothing beats paper towel...

Yup use it dampened for cockpits etc when I'm spraying primer out of a rattle can

tigercat

I've found white tack makes a quite useful masking material.

mkhulu

Found this .... Using Marmite as a masking material  ;D

http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/2008/02/19/852/

Hah - chuck Marmite on a piece of toast (butter NOT margarine !) and on your kit  :blink:

;D
Going nowhere slowly

Mossie

Just proof that Marmite is some kind of nasty chemical & not suitable for human consumption!!!  I'd run the risk of my missus eating my models & me not touching it with your barge pole....

More a weathering aid than a masking material then, an alternative to salt-chip weathering?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mkhulu on September 21, 2011, 02:07:23 AM
Found this .... Using Marmite as a masking material  ;D

My brain hurts! Next thing people will be usng Twiglets as conversion material.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit