Main Menu

B-49 M

Started by RussC, September 15, 2011, 03:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

Among many tales of what-if planes on the web, is the "what if the YB-49 flying wing was built and it was kept as long in service as the B-52 would be?" In this idea, picture a very tired design, reaching the end of its days in the early 1970's, and having been rebuilt and re-engined twice previously. However a new strategic plan calls for one more modify since the B2 design is going to be both late and very expensive. This rebuild will allow the outer wing panels to be discarded and the use of new materials. So the B-49 M is begun in 1975 by a series of contractors, calling many machines out of desert storage as well as later pulling active machines into the cycle. The outer wing panels, the outermost 60 percent are replaced with composite formed wings with thinner cross-section. The embedded and underslung engines are all removed in favor of top mounted podded high bypass turbofans as used in the 747 and DC-10, the wing edge inlets are capped and the short tail fins are replaced with wingtip fins. The cockpit is given a raised profile deck using the pending B2 design and the instruments are all-digital and mostly CRT display. The original "Northrop's wonder" is ready for one more turn at the skies and perhaps an even earlier end of the cold war impasse. Model is a card model scratchbuilt project and it was in fact converted from a YB-49A model when a resin kit of the earlier machine was now available and built- I seldom throw models away.

Note: first post of a project - this one was completed about ten years back and the picture is a small size. I'll always try and post larger sizes if I have them.

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

sequoiaranger

Good concept.

Dunno what happened, but the pic didn't come out in your post.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

RussC

I can see the picture, but you do not? Can anyone offer further look - ideas why its not visible?  :blink: :banghead: :angry:

scooter

Quote from: RussC on September 16, 2011, 10:00:44 AM
I can see the picture, but you do not? Can anyone offer further look - ideas why its not visible?  :blink: :banghead: :angry:
Same here, can't see it, but sounds like an interesting prospect.  Its possible that because its on another forum, we can't see it since we're not registered there. (I tried copying and pasting the link in my browser).  Maybe move the image itself to photobucket or imageshack
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

frank2056

As Scooter said, the image is in a thread on a board that doesn't allow viewing (or hot linking) the images unless you're a member. Putting them on a standard image server will work. What may also work is getting the exact URL of the image on the board, rather than a link to the thread (right click on the image and select "copy image location" in Firefox or "copy shortcut" in IE ) and use that instead.

Mr.Creak

No picture, no link visible for me.
What if... I had a brain?

bobbo

RussC

Well, it doesn't work with pictures from DA or KG144.... so.... . I'll try the photo-hosting route- Will not use 'bucket' as its a branch of Newscorp, and me and Rupert are not on speaking terms...so tried Flickr.

And now I cannot see the image at all. Can you?

Wasting my time.... :banghead: :wacko: :unsure: :angry: :-\

Any further ideas or suggestions? Give up comes to mind.

philp

Russ,
Looks like the image is set to private on your Flickr account. 

Go in and in the Owner Settings (lower right corner of the screen) click on the "anyone can see this photo"  and that should release it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

RussC

Ok, set the privacy from default to public and also did a full (copy image location), and it now appears - to me.

Can anyone else see it?

Light at the end of the tunnel? or just the oncoming train? :blink:

NARSES2

No, the train is reversing  ;D

I can now see it - fantastic  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mr.Creak

Wahey! It's there.
And very nice too.
What if... I had a brain?

McColm

Great idea,
I've got a 1/144 model kit of a B-2 which is still in it's box and four CFM 1/72 engines in my spares stash, thanks again!!

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Taiidantomcat

I see it!   :wub: This is great Russ! Wonderful having you here and thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.