The Worst Instructions

Started by Weaver, September 15, 2011, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 17, 2022, 07:40:59 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 14, 2022, 03:35:18 AM

Quote from: Mossie on February 13, 2022, 10:43:56 AM
Like that toilet paper you used to get at school... :o

My mum used to buy that.  We never did find out why she hated us so but when we all moved out she switched to the soft stuff.

Yea, but it was dual purpose as well. Could always be used as grease proof paper for wrapping the old man's sandwiches in for lunch. Hopefully before being used for its intended purpose  ;)

Several of my former pupils used it as tracing paper when the official supplies ran out!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 14, 2022, 05:31:40 AM
My Arma Hobby TS-11 Iskra bis DF comes with only one lump, on the right side. This breech/ammunition feed housing, along with the gun fairing & barrel are attached separately. So mine can be built without the gun, if I wish.

The kit is described as a "Junior Set" but is, actually, a rather nicely moulded kit with slightly deep panel lines (which I think will be fine once paint is applied) & a nicely detailed cockpit for the scale (1/72).

The instructions look pretty good, too.

As far as I can tell, it's the same plastic as the fancy, expensive boxings, just with the resin, PE and huge decal sheet left out. Certainly shows you how much of the price of a kit is in things other than the plastic, doesn't it?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on February 17, 2022, 01:16:32 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 17, 2022, 07:40:59 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 14, 2022, 03:35:18 AM

Quote from: Mossie on February 13, 2022, 10:43:56 AM
Like that toilet paper you used to get at school... :o

My mum used to buy that.  We never did find out why she hated us so but when we all moved out she switched to the soft stuff.

Yea, but it was dual purpose as well. Could always be used as grease proof paper for wrapping the old man's sandwiches in for lunch. Hopefully before being used for its intended purpose  ;)

Several of my former pupils used it as tracing paper when the official supplies ran out!

Ah, tracing paper. Is it still in use by today's generation of youngsters ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

The difference between mainstream kit producers instructions and short(er) run producers can be entertaining. Look at these, f.i. The first is Italeri's lovely ex-Esci F-104G and the second KP's MiG-15UTI. Where the former maxes out at about three actions per picture, the latter is a one-step slap-bang story with quite a lot of guesswork when it comes to the exact positioning of most of the interior. Or fit and fret, as we say..

In all fairness, the care taken when making the instructions seems to bear some resemblance to the moulding process too, but nevertheless, dry fitting indicates that also the fat little MiG will build up to a rather nice little model. Eventually, and if my skills are with me.. :rolleyes:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Weaver

Of course, producing those lovely diagrams is a non-trivial exercise in technical drawing, performed by a skilled individual who requires to be paid a non-trival sum of money in return. The ability to do the latter is why big companies can produce the former and small companies often can't.

Now these days you might well be able to generate the instructions from the CAD files used to design the kit in the first place, but even that requires a professional with considerable skill.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 18, 2022, 01:47:29 AM

When we moved back to Canada in 1962 I returned to school, and one of the first days back we were told that we would be using 'onionskin paper' for copying pictures. ??? Never heard that before. Yes, it was tracing paper. Weird mob over this side of the pond.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on February 18, 2022, 01:00:01 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 18, 2022, 01:47:29 AM

When we moved back to Canada in 1962 I returned to school, and one of the first days back we were told that we would be using 'onionskin paper' for copying pictures. ??? Never heard that before. Yes, it was tracing paper. Weird mob over this side of the pond.

Must be an old Canuckism, because we called it "tracing paper" when I was in grade school in New Jersey in the late 70s, and we still call it tracing paper today.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Joe C-P

I have bought some ship kits from Old Glory.  Their Ironclad era are good, but do not come with any instructions.  We have to find pictures of the ship to figure out what goes where.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

Quote from: JoeP on February 18, 2022, 03:20:48 PM
I have bought some ship kits from Old Glory.  Their Ironclad era are good, but do not come with any instructions.  We have to find pictures of the ship to figure out what goes where.

I think that's  the first time I've heard of a kit coming with no instructions at all  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

a great many of the small wargames companys dont give instructions, ok if you know what your doing or have a good set of referances, nightmare if you dont, especialy when some of the parts have a veryable level of QC and shrinkage.... shiver...  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

As with electronics, it won't be long before they realise they can save money by not putting in paper instructions and just directing us to a website.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..