The Worst Instructions

Started by Weaver, September 15, 2011, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

As everyone remembers, the old Italeri kits had this short piece of the subject's history on the box, translated to several languages. Mind you, this was before Google Translate, but somehow, whoever was responsible for the Finnish translation managed to do even worse. The text did have Finnish words for the most part (with plenty of funny spelling mistakes) but at best it was extremely clumsy, at worst (ie. most often) unintelligible. Sometimes the translator invented new words that did not mean anything - quick comparison revealed that the word was not in the other languages' versions, so this must have been a genuine effort to translate but gone horribly wrong.

Oh well, at least the instructions themselves were drawings instead of verbal descriptions...

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on April 07, 2016, 04:19:13 AM
That can't be real can it?

Have you read the rest of this thread?  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

This is the back of a package of a product for cleaning computer screens. I think we may have bought it just for this alone, it has to be shared:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

I'm convinced half these things are made up, half the funny/strange photo's you see are photo-shopped for sure.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I currently fight with the instructions of my Heller Jaguar A kit. While every part is listed in the diagrams, the latter are so inconclusive in detail that you have to guess how the parts are supposed to be actually mounted.

Gondor

Most early Hasegawa kit instructions, usually from the early 70's or so as usually quite bad. Had to look over the instruction sheet, just the one folded page, several times to find the painting instructions for some parts not to mention the vague location for some parts.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

A little bit off subject but still to do with the problems of translation from one language to another.

Many years ago I read an issue of Punch magazine which was a special issue for the British Motor Show.
It had an article concerning the pre WW2 British Highway Code which had been translated into either Japanese or Chinese (I can not remember which).
For this issue of Punch they had done a littoral translation back into English.
I do remember two absolute classics in it :

"If a passenger of the foot hove into view, Tootle on the horn.
If they do not take notice, Tootle melodiously on the horn."

..and the one that I regard as an absolute classic :

"Beware the muddy places, for there lurks the skid Dragon!"

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on April 07, 2016, 11:42:49 AM
"If a passenger of the foot hove into view, Tootle on the horn.
If they do not take notice, Tootle melodiously on the horn."

Wow - my mum used to quote that one for a laugh but she could never rememeber where she'd read it! Cheers!  ;D :bow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on April 07, 2016, 05:26:18 AM

Yes (well, skimmed it and a lot of the pictures are missing), but those were model kit instructions.  Now I don't know about how you build but if I get it wrong my models don't explode and kill me like a gas powered heater could.

As it's been raining i'm off down the end of the garden to look for the skid dragon...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on April 07, 2016, 06:34:57 PM
Quote from: Weaver on April 07, 2016, 05:26:18 AM

Yes (well, skimmed it and a lot of the pictures are missing), but those were model kit instructions.  Now I don't know about how you build but if I get it wrong my models don't explode and kill me like a gas powered heater could.

As it's been raining i'm off down the end of the garden to look for the skid dragon...

Well we don't know how bad the rest of the heater instructions are, just that they used 'plague' for 'plaque' or 'panel'. The other instructions are for a camping table that might inosculate but probably won't explode either.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I've still got a few old Japanese kits where the instructions are in Japanese but the drawings are fairly self explanatory. The worst instructions are on some older Czech resin kits where the "instructions" are one very poorly hand drawn exploded diagram of all the bits with arrows showing where they go. It's when the bit fits underneath the aircraft, the underside is very rarely shown, where it gets very interesting  :blink:

Ah the glorious days of the 60's when the instructions actually named the parts so you learned as you built  :thumbsup: And yes I know why that no longer happens
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2016, 06:47:04 AM
Ah the glorious days of the 60's when the instructions actually named the parts so you learned as you built  :thumbsup: And yes I know why that no longer happens

You do? :blink:

Care to enlighten a brother modeller who missed that memo? :-\

(Being out of the model-making fraternity loop for most of your life doesn't help with these snippets. :rolleyes: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2016, 08:10:44 AM

You do? :blink:

Care to enlighten a brother modeller who missed that memo? :-\

(Being out of the model-making fraternity loop for most of your life doesn't help with these snippets. :rolleyes: )

Common with Revell back in the day.

From the Drastic Plastics collection of instructions, this one posted by a character calling himself Fred zenrat.  ;)
http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/revell-instructions/straightline-competition/revell_mickey_thomp/

Old Wombat

Oh, I remember the educational instructions fine & wish they were still around.

I'm more interested in this sentence.

And yes I know why that no longer happens
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2016, 10:02:13 AM
Oh, I remember the educational instructions fine & wish they were still around.

I'm more interested in this sentence.

And yes I know why that no longer happens

Because it's cheaper to use non-language specific symbols and illustrations for multiple markets
and it avoids having to print multi-lingual sheets where those are required by local laws.
A few lines of bumpf at the front or on a separate sheet covers those requirements.