The Worst Instructions

Started by Weaver, September 15, 2011, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 08, 2016, 11:28:59 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on April 08, 2016, 10:02:13 AM
Oh, I remember the educational instructions fine & wish they were still around.

I'm more interested in this sentence.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 08, 2016, 06:47:04 AM
And yes I know why that no longer happens

Because it's cheaper to use non-language specific symbols and illustrations for multiple markets
and it avoids having to print multi-lingual sheets where those are required by local laws.
A few lines of bumpf at the front or on a separate sheet covers those requirements.

Absolutely Jon. Blame globilisation  :wacko: Although when you look at current Revell sheets I think they use more paper on listing what all the abbreviations/symbols  stand for in 21 (yes I just counted the Roland's) languages/scripts. So that would mean 21 individual instruction sheets with all the fun that would come from insuring the right market got the right sheet  :blink:

That sheet for the Challenger is a perfect example of what I meant about learning as you built. I know nothing about cars and motor bikes but at least when I built one I learned enough to be able to vaguely understand what my car/bike mad mates at school were talking about.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dork the kit slayer

As it's been raining i'm off down the end of the garden to look for the skid dragon...

[/quote]

Often found in your underwear drawer   :wacko: :wacko:  ................................ ;D   well it just begs for a smutty reply  ;D
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Captain Canada

That's some funny stuff for a Saturday morning !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 08, 2016, 09:03:09 AM
...From the Drastic Plastics collection of instructions, this one posted by a character calling himself Fred zenrat.  ;)
http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/revell-instructions/straightline-competition/revell_mickey_thomp/

Hmmmm, yes.  Challenger One.  I really must finish that.  I put it away because building and wiring 4 identical engines sucked the joy out it for me.  Maybe it's nearly time to resume the struggle.  I think the kit designers vision slightly outreached the production engineers reality - but maybe it's my building and paint thicknesses eating up tolerances.

As for multi lingual instructions.  Anyone built any Ikea furniture recently?  No words at all.  Just pictograms.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I've been looking over a resin conversion kit with a view to fitting it onto something it was never intended for, what a surprise.  ;D

I can't help thinking that while some conversion kit manufacturers are absolute WIZARDS at making their masters and doing the actual resin moulding their instructions could do with some work....

Such as :-

a) There are 36 different resin parts included in the kit, yet only 10 are listed in the instructions. OK, so one of the items listed is  '10. Aerials' which could cover a multitude of sins.

b) It says at one point '...add part 13'. NONE of the  parts are numbered!

c) In two or three places it says '.....as per the attached diagram' except the attached diagram doesn't show ANY of the parts!

I could go on, but  for sure I'd never be able to use this for its original real world purpose, the model would stand no hope of looking as it should do.

Good thing I'm Whiffing it so I can decide where to put all the bits!  ;D

(The manufacturer better remain nameless but it's NOT Colin Freightdog, his instructions are models of the genre.  :thumbsup:)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

I do RW 1/87 military vehicles and what you write about instructions is quite the norm for many east Europe manufacturers.  :banghead:
With the added "pleasure" that they are sold by german reboxers who get kits from various cottage (or cave ?) industries and you never know what you'll find inside.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Weaver

Box-side bumf on a 1/35th Trumpeter KV-2, which featured, apparently, a 'quick fried tower'... ;D

From here: https://twitter.com/Finndamage/status/1491310673330323456?s=20&t=cECdN_69EWdgjruastrJDA

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Astounding piece of translation.
My gob is smacked.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

perttime

That reminds me of some, apparently, google translated instructions. At least then, Chinese to Finnish was tough on google.

Quote from: rickshaw on September 15, 2011, 09:43:51 PM
You read instructions?   :o
I get a vivid image of a particular "Technical Communication" teacher saying that and rolling her eyes.

zenrat

Mrs z, being a former IT manager (just like Jen in The IT Crowd*) refuses to read instructions.
This has led to some lively "discussions" between us.

*albeit with actual knowledge of IT.
Fred

PR19_Kit

You just can't get by without a 'thermodynamic power inhibit' these days..............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 09, 2022, 04:01:30 AM
You just can't get by without a 'thermodynamic power inhibit' these days..............  ;)

But only when used for "proceeding to the virtuous soldier". ;)

Also, I knew competitive swimming was tough but, seriously, "... need not in the battlefield that hour of backstroke break war"? So, during competition/training on a battlefield the backstroke swimmers had an hour's break & fought a war, which seems to have upset those fighting the battle! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

Wrebbit Harry Potter series of buildings and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter 3D card puzzles especially Hogwarts Castle. As the third bridge doesn't appear on the base mat but the other two do.

loupgarou

Quote from: Weaver on February 09, 2022, 02:46:06 AM
Box-side bumf on a 1/35th Trumpeter KV-2, which featured, apparently, a 'quick fried tower'... ;D

From here: https://twitter.com/Finndamage/status/1491310673330323456?s=20&t=cECdN_69EWdgjruastrJDA

Wonderful!  :wub: Thanks for having found this gem. It beats by a long distance japanese-to-english translations of the sixties.  :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on February 09, 2022, 04:58:39 AM

It beats by a long distance japanese-to-english translations of the sixties.  :thumbsup:

I LOVED them, they were so terrible that Riko gave me a part-time job building Tamiya kits and writing out the English language instructions. Boosted my modelling funds no end, for a while anyway.  ;D

Regards
Kit