USAF South-East Asia scheme

Started by rickshaw, September 18, 2011, 01:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The USAF SEA scheme which was introduced during the Vietnam War.   My question is, was it gloss or matt?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Brian, the FS numbers allocated to the scheme were all in the '3' series, which means matt.  '1' series colours are gloss, '2' are semi-gloss and '3' are all matt.

Here's a link that might help.

http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

That was what I suspected but wasn't sure.   Just means a matt coat at the end, thats all.  ;D

Daryl J.

The restored SEA aircraft at the Evergreen Aviation Museum vary from a very matte satin to dead flat.
From the same era, Douglas aircraft's interior grey is Krylon's Dove Grey if it can be found.   Source:  Don Kellor.   Don would know.   

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Maverick on September 18, 2011, 05:00:19 AM
Here's a link that might help.

http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

Jeepers, it's available on line?   :o

And I forked out an arm and a leg for that book of zillions of fold-out paint chips......  :banghead:

How can they have three different 'Whites', two of which are 'Insignia White' and none of them are the same?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Kit, you haven't wasted your money in the slightest.  The paint chips will show the real colour and shade.  The online version won't - it will be dependent upon your computer and monitor settings.

In any case, the real life colours will vary markedly from aircraft to aircraft, depending on availability of paints, age, exposure to the sun, humidity and of course, that colour blind Flight Sergeant who's in charge of the paintshop!  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on October 30, 2011, 08:03:36 PM
that colour blind Flight Sergeant who's in charge of the paintshop!  ;D

He works for me now  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: rickshaw on October 30, 2011, 08:03:36 PMIn any case, the real life colours will vary markedly from aircraft to aircraft, depending on availability of paints, age, exposure to the sun, humidity and of course, that colour blind Flight Sergeant who's in charge of the paintshop!  ;D

The most complete and concise counter to almost any/every "That colour isn't right..." remark I've ever read. I have a photo (that I took whilst standing alongside Mike McEvoy) of a very early 74 Sqn Phantom F3, at the Alconbury show in whatever year they first arrived (1984 ??)... It's turquoise... not grey, not blue, turquoise.

At the risk of repeating m'self... "That colour isn't right..."

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)