Maybe the best aviation based TV commercial ever?

Started by PR19_Kit, September 24, 2011, 09:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

There's a new television commercial running that's inspired by BA's motto 'To fly, to serve' and it has some of the best flying sequences, both real and CGI, that I have ever seen. They range from early DH9s to Concorde and trying to see where real stops and CGI starts is almost impossible. At one point there are FOUR VC10s in one shot!

The last sequence where a 747-400 and a VC10, flying in loose formation with earlier aircraft astern, is overtaken by a Concorde is spine tingling!

There's a full length version on the BA web site here : BA Commercial

Scroll down, put the volume to full and go full screen and hit the play button.

I defy any aviation fan not to be moved by it.

[Later: If you let it run to the end you get a choice of other filmettes about how they made the commercial, and other BA stuff, most impressive]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

WOW!!! Outstanding. I really like the transitions.

Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Merv_P

Thanks for the heads-up on this. It's also on Youtube in HD if you want to grab it in that format.

MilitaryAircraft101

Speak of the devil, I'm flying BA... Very nice ad though.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

RotorheadTX

Stunning! They certainly know how to tug at a heart-string.   :thumbsup:

TsrJoe

really nicely made, kindv moving for technogeeks and aeronerds, sigh the promise ... long range air travel across the Empire and supersonic transport with the Concorde ! inspiring yet it has a sense of 'paradise lost' and what once was about it too ... i noticed that the ad doesnt truly bring the service up to date tho, maybe they could do a sortv follow up ... regular 'bus flights' between destinations in Spain et al full of drunken Brits, the same old 747's droning across the Atlantic half empty at pretty much the same flight times as the past 40 years, passengers as passive 'sheep', crews damaging their health with cabin aerotoxins due to the use of 'bleed air' for air conditioning, etc. what happened to the 'magic' ? its all soo mundane, what with pretend 'security restrictions', the 'mall shopping experience' and the general lack of 'spark' when it was all so wonderful ! :(
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

I tend to agree Joe, the earliest 'BA' aircraft I ever flew in was a BEA Viscount, although I did later fly in an ex-BEA DC3.

The difference between that Viscount flight and my last BA flight about 5 years ago, in a 757 'tour bus' en route to Frankfurt, was like night and day! The problem is that air travel these days has become a commodity, thanks to our wholly money aligned society.

I wish they'd have had at least one CGI flying boat in the film, that would really have put the icing on the cake for me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2011, 04:58:30 AM
The difference between that Viscount flight and my last BA flight about 5 years ago, in a 757 'tour bus' en route to Frankfurt, was like night and day! The problem is that air travel these days has become a commodity, thanks to our wholly money aligned society.

That's exactly how my squadron commander (pilot for America) describes it--Greyhound bus in the sky.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

simmie

Quote from: scooter on September 25, 2011, 08:40:52 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2011, 04:58:30 AM

That's exactly how my squadron commander (pilot for America) describes it--Greyhound bus in the sky.

With passengers as "self-loading cargo"!!!!
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

PR19_Kit

I just lucked upon that AMAZING 2011 BA advert again.  ;D :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten how wonderful it was, and the closing shot where a Concorde overtakes a 747-400 and a VC10 is just spine tingling! Here's the link again if you haven't got it faved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozHLoqwp_4

When it finishes, let the time bar go right to the end, then click on the 2nd thumbnail down on the left hand side, labelled 'The Making of our advert' and it plays a short vid of how they did it. Still doesn't say how they got THREE VC10s in the same shot though, let alone FIVE Dakotas! If you can't find it, here's a direct link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chjN5SerNeQ

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Excellent!

There's another related film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUQJiFARd80

Re the multiple VC-10s, they may have used "flats": literally a full size, 2D, photorealistic "cardboard cut-out" for the planes in the background. It sounds daft, but as long as the camera angle doesn't have to change much, the illusion holds up. Flats have been used in all sorts of flying movies for background aircraft before now.

Alternatively,  it may be out-and-out CGI of course...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones