Main Menu

Also Italy

Started by RussC, September 29, 2011, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

The Regia Aeronautica was not without some all-wing designs. Although Burnelli had emigrated and had even built a large twin engine lifting body wing, the UB-14 with a diminutive tail in Both England and the USA, the designs filtered back to Italy and were given to a practical 3 engine (You know it just had to be 3!) bomber for Mussolini, built by Savoia. His B-1000 design for Canada was standard RCAF issue bombing aircraft for many years, produced first by Canadian Car Foundry and later AVRO Canada.

Card model with wood extras.

Burnelli actually made designs for airplanes well into the modern jet age (with the spectacular GB-888A) and is one of the few designers to integrate flying wing with flying boat, along with countryman Bartini who was working in Russia.

Macchi also produced a unique wing body fighter in two versions, the G77 and later 78, nicknamed the Artiglio (Claw). This first picture is a card model Artiglio shown with the Ki-199 and a Westland Wizard, product of the very clandestine Hogwart's design center.

Later model Artiglio in the markings of the Free Italian AF from 1947, replacing its DB-601 copied engines with Packard Merlins.

Purists will note in these early models that I was unaware that the 3 fasces of the wing insignia should always "point" towards the wingtip !

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

AXU

What can I say?Your models are very very interesting,all of them  :thumbsup: ... you bring a fresh air on this forum and you have impressed many members,that means something !
Well done,and keep up !

Alex

tanktastic43

Stunning Savoia!  :o  :bow:  :wub:

tt43.

Pablo1965

sequoiaranger

I loved your Italian flying wing.

Just BLOWN AWAY with the camo--'bout fell out of my chair when I saw it! Here is one of mine, with somewhat the same idea:

My circles are all DECALS carefully punched out from painted clear decal and individually applied--are yours?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Maverick

Brilliant stuff as always Russ.

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RussC

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 30, 2011, 05:37:44 AM
I loved your Italian flying wing.

Just BLOWN AWAY with the camo--'bout fell out of my chair when I saw it! Here is one of mine, with somewhat the same idea:

My circles are all DECALS carefully punched out from painted clear decal and individually applied--are yours?

I applied the pattern by hand with a spotter brush. Used a circle template to get the sizes drawn out with pencil first.

James

The Savoia is ace. You've certainly got a talent Russ.

royabulgaf

The bomber.  Are those Canberra wings?
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

RussC

Quote from: royabulgaf on September 30, 2011, 06:11:15 PM
The bomber.  Are those Canberra wings?

Didn't use any kit parts, just fabricated using card. But you know, with those wingtip tanks... A 1/48 Canberra kit would do the job if wanting to make another in plastic. Just need 3 radials and some tail bits to finish.