Main Menu

HMSS Britannia

Started by thedarkmaster, October 02, 2011, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedarkmaster

Her Majesty's Star Ship Britannia, Woomera Launch pad, Commonwealth of Australia 1976

and these from the press releas at the time

BRITS IN SPACE !!!!!!

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

deathjester

Wow!  Well done Tim :thumbsup:  That one should be in the running for a Whiffie!

RussC

Willey Ley and Von Braun are smiling down....

Excellent build. Love the color scheme, a touch of RAE Boscombe Down Meteor/Javelin patterns.

Hypergolics or cryogenics?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Pablo1965

Mr.Creak

Oh my!
Take care of that, otherwise it'll dissolve in its own awesomeness.
What if... I had a brain?

Weaver

OH HELL YES!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That looks great Tim. The original model is nice, but it looks WAY better in that colour scheme (irrespective of the roundels).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

PetarB

When the hell will we get a proper launch site in Australia? I remember a decade or two ago there were some rumblings that we have a couple of sites worth looking at. Now, nothing! If only I wasn't still watching the Banana Splits & The Wombles in 1976 on Aussie TV, I might have seen this beauty...

lancer

Superb work as usual Tim..
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Old Wombat

Quote from: PetarB on October 03, 2011, 10:56:34 PM
When the hell will we get a proper launch site in Australia? I remember a decade or two ago there were some rumblings that we have a couple of sites worth looking at. Now, nothing! If only I wasn't still watching the Banana Splits & The Wombles in 1976 on Aussie TV, I might have seen this beauty...

Let's just say that, if for no other reason, the cost of leasing the best sites would be prohibitively exhorbitant. :-X
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

deathjester

Well, if we had kept an old carrier, we would have a perfect mobile launch facility, able to follow the good weather, with on site maintenance support to boot!

RussC

Quote from: deathjester on October 07, 2011, 06:30:55 AM
Well, if we had kept an old carrier, we would have a perfect mobile launch facility, able to follow the good weather, with on site maintenance support to boot!

Plenty of old portable oil drilling platforms out there too. A supertanker hull would be even bigger than a CVN, though not as cool. There was a commercial satellite outfit called Sea - Launch, but they seem to have disappeared.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Mr.Creak

Quote from: deathjester on October 07, 2011, 06:30:55 AM
Oh good grief! Just go for the logical option: put engines on Australia and use that as a carrier.
Of course, for crew safety reasons it may be necessary to eliminate some of the wildlife there: poisonous spiders, Australians, drop bears, poisonous snakes...  ;)
What if... I had a brain?