Triangles into the 70's

Started by RussC, October 05, 2011, 09:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

Beside the long range bombers, the 1960's and 70's saw a new stream of all-wing fighters take shape, the first was the Bristol Bladesman, a design that grew from experimental high speed craft tried by many nations, the Bristol 188, the French Trident and the Russian Tsybin series plus the US Blackbirds.
 The Bladesman is a plastic model, using a B-58 wing, Tomcat nose and scratchbuild engines, originally thought of calling this design the Black Bart. Some skeptics have said, and I partially agree that these wingtip engine designs could be tricky if an engine-out occurs. But they just seem to speak to the period of the late 50's to early 70's design.

The US had its own trident fighter from Lockheed in the F-112. Card model, Natural metal finish using rub'n buff aluminum- a process I no longer use due to messy application, and Arizona ANG markings.

Some years later, re-visited this design using styrene, an f-102 wing, B-58 engines, and a bit more legroom for the pilots thanks to a slice of F-4 Phantom.

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

Bristol Bladesman? What a wonderfully appropriate name for that big black tri-angle!  ;D

Nice one!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Great stuff as usual. I MUCH prefer the looks and rendering of the card version of the F-112 compared to the plastic one.

Pablo1965

lovely paint job, it fits superbly in the 70s  :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers:

arkon

the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Taiidantomcat

:bow: They don't just look good, they look convincing they fit the time!  :thumbsup: So... do you have 80s stuff too?  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Maverick

Brilliant stuff.  Almost have a 'Star Wars' feel to them.

Regards,

Mav

RussC

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on October 06, 2011, 08:13:41 AM
:bow: They don't just look good, they look convincing they fit the time!  :thumbsup: So... do you have 80s stuff too?  :wacko:

That will be today's post.  :mellow:

Beanflick

Quote from: Maverick on October 06, 2011, 01:14:24 PM

Regards,

Mav

I was about to say the same. Especially the second version of that F-112 looks very Star Warsy. Which is a good thing! :thumbsup:

RussC

Quote from: Beanflick on October 06, 2011, 04:00:31 PM

Regards,

Mav

I was about to say the same. Especially the second version of that F-112 looks very Star Warsy. Which is a good thing! :thumbsup:

Y-wing fighter, which I always preferred to the x-wing.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: RussC on October 06, 2011, 06:05:16 PM
Quote from: Beanflick on October 06, 2011, 04:00:31 PM

Regards,

Mav

Y-wing fighter, which I always preferred to the x-wing.

Blasphemy!  ;D
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Diamondback

Interesting builds... a prof and I designed a 'triangle' ourselves back in the early '00s--415' long, 400' span, 16 huge GE90 engines in one dorsal and two underwing nacelles for a total power of two million pounds static thrust--with a goal of the airframe at full combat load weighing no more than one million.

I've thought about WHIFfing it, but sheer size of the thing along with its extreme thinness for its size are major barriers. (A 10'-thick wing and 25'-high fuselage DO seem kinda small on an aircraft that could use an entire Saturn V rocket as a JATO...LOL)

Tophe

:wub: :wub: :wub: Delicious family! Thanks for the enjoyment you provide us with! I clap my hands as much as I can, truly I do. :thumbsup: :bow:
(this is my very favourite part of what-if modelling: inventing shapes)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Pablo1965

Incredible desing. Different and radical.  :bow: :bow: :bow: