Ta-183 * * F I N I S H E D * *

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, October 16, 2011, 05:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Allan on November 04, 2011, 02:06:35 PMIan, you and Matrixone are truly the masters of the mottle

Allan in Canberra

That's really good of you to say that, Allan, but credit where it's due - It's taken me an inordinate amount of time to learn how to do an 'acceptable' mottle, and I learnt just about everything from watching our very own Dork the Kit Slayer. When another colleague of ours Nev came over to my place last year with his new Iwata Revolution BR airbrush, and allowed me to experiment with it, I realized, very quickly, that I could probably do a passable mottle with one of these, so I bit-the-bullet and bought one.

After some experimentation I was able to put-into-practice what I'd learnt from (the other) Allan over the years. In short, what you see here is a result of using good paints, a very good airbrush an having an excellent mentor; together with some practice... (and a desire to keep 'doing-it-better').

Thanks again for the comment. More (very) soon.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

mkhulu

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on November 03, 2011, 03:12:22 AM
Quote from: Allan on November 02, 2011, 09:36:32 PMIan, Any tips on using Lifecolor to good effect? I'm all ears.

Allan
Spraying Lifecolor's is a joy, it really is, but there's a trick to thinning:

Attendez  ;)

Go buy a bottle of de-ionized water and a bottle of windscreen cleaner (I dont know what the Australian equivelent of Halfords is, but I'm certain there will be one). Mix these two 50/50. Then thin your Lifecolour roughly 70/30 with the 'mix'... This should give you the perfect consistency for spraying. Trust me  :thumbsup:

Ian

:cheers: for the tip
Going nowhere slowly

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ahh that's more like it:

This time with the diffuser attached !! - Thanks for all the very encouraging comments so far, really appreciate it.

Ian

Note to self:
Do NOT allow DtKS to take you for a lunchtime pint BEFORE painting a model  :drink:

Confuscious (maybe)

Allan

Just masterly, Ian!!!!!!!!!!!!(genuflects and salaaaams)
Allan in Canberra

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Mmmm, yellow stripes  :wub:

That's it now until after Telford. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

PR19_Kit

Ian,

Could you possibly make that yellow a little brighter? It may be difficult to see in 'the fog of war'.........  ;D :lol: ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

Allan

ChernayaAkula

Having the fuselage band at an angle is a neat idea!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Allan

Ian
Friends on this and other modelling sites help us, sure, but you're the one gripping the airbrush, so you deserve all the kudos and back-slapping
Allan in Canberra

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Allan on November 09, 2011, 03:03:29 PMIan
How'd you do that yellow so well????
Allan in Canberra

Allan
One thin coat of Tamiya matt white as a base coat. Five hours later two thin coats of Tamiya gloss yellow. All sprayed at around 15psi thru my wunderbar Iwata Revolution BR. Masking is, as ever, Tamiya 10 & 15mm tape, I always run it on my jeans just to take off more of the adhesive before it hits the plastic.

Yep that covers it (literally !!). At the risk of repeating m'self, there is absolutely no substitute for practice, practice, practice  :thumbsup: - Hope this helps.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Sprayed the exhaust section a couple of coats of Alclad Duralumin, then 'striped' it with Alumin 'Pale burnt aluminium' and Tamiya clear blue...

...I think it looks OK, but then I'm biased !!

More in a minute.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

And now with stickers:

Quick, somebody call Mr. Cherry !!

AFN

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)