Northrop-Grumman MQ-13 "Dark Pringle"

Started by JayBee, October 17, 2011, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

The MQ-13 was the successful winner of a 1990's USAF competition for a stealthy, attack, UCAV, under the project name "Dark Pringle". The winning design being produced by Northrop-Grumman using aerodynamic and stealth technologies developed for the Northrop YF-23.
So secret was this project that specific details such as date of the first flight, date of entry into service, and service usage, are extremely difficult to obtain. It is only the fact that these craft are now coming into the AFRES inventory that has made their very existence generally known.
Weapon loads are carried internally, and while various types can be carried the weapon of choice is the 250lb. GBU-29 JDAM. Based on the 250lb. Mk80 low drag bomb which had been taken out of production (due to the poor effectiveness of such a small explosives load, and which earned it the nickname of "Firecracker"), it was only the introduction of precision guidance  systems that made this small bomb a viable asset. Two are carried by the MQ-13.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Ed S

Nice one. That "scalearama'd" well. Makes a great display.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Ooh, I like that. Even if it is a UAV (hack, spit), being based on the Black Widow makes it gorgeous. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

LemonJello

Nicely done with the YF-23. It really looks the part.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

RussC

Quote from: Overkiller on October 17, 2011, 08:27:47 AM
:wub: :thumbsup: :wub:

Very Nice!

I like the fact you have made it tailless.  :ph34r:

:cheers:

Duncan

Me 2 ! Nice idea in the concept of using parts or even whole planes outside the desired scale, in either direction. Thinking outside the box.

"Dark Pringle" ? sounds a bit like one of Santa's helpers....... although, .... It can probably drop a Hellfire down the chimney and fill the socks hung by the mantle with shrapnel.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

MilitaryAircraft101

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

McColm

Now I know what to do with my 1/72 YF-23. :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Tojo633

Jim
I hope we can expect to see that in the competition on Saturday?.
See you there.
Sandy

chrisonord

Very nice Jim, a propper stealth UCAV, for sure. :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!