Backdating Modern Tanks

Started by Taiidantomcat, October 20, 2011, 12:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Been kicking around using a combination of Abrams, Challengers, and some other tanks and backdating them to WWI. Any ideas or thoughts on how to do that? Also have an old and busted M-48 and M-41 that need to be given new life

:cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

raafif

add full side-skirts with rounded ends like the Ruski T-35 multi-turret tank. Make the turrets more square rather than sloped on the front with a shorter-barrel for the canon.  Add side-sponsons with 6pdr or heavy mg  guns.  Crazy bright multi-colour WW1 paint-job !!  :blink:

Save the M-41 for conversion to a modern Danish or Brazillian version -- they both look quite different (and neat!) with minimal changes ---- or send it to me  ;D.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

arkon

i like this idea! also multiple turrets like the russian t-28.
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

pyro-manic

Massive rivet/bolt heads, wrap-around tracks, short-barreled main guns, lots of ball-mounted machine guns (with water-cooling jackets?) dotted around the place. Oh, and an unditching beam on the rear deck.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 20, 2011, 02:28:25 PM
Massive rivet/bolt heads, wrap-around tracks, short-barreled main guns, lots of ball-mounted machine guns (with water-cooling jackets?) dotted around the place. Oh, and an unditching beam on the rear deck.

Dude you and I are on the exact same page! What I had in mind so far  :thumbsup: Think big weld seams as well? does that make sense?

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dy031101

Not strictly based on an existing tank, but I know I'll have to revisit the idea of a badder T-28 concept again some time...... with a IS-3 main turret, two MG secondary turrets and all......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

pyro-manic

Welding is too modern, IMO. Great big rivets holding slabs of plate together - gives that lovely Victorian heavy industrial feel, like an old steam loco or ship. :thumbsup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmphoto/115182834/
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-12019531/stock-photo-surface-of-the-old-metal-tank-with-rivets.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5130537723/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5138554219/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5139165910/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5050818831/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5050828569/

OK, I know things like the Char B1 above aren't WW1, but they have the kind of old-fashioned features I'm talking about. :) Plus I'm blatantly using that guy's Flickr album, because it's got loads of shots from Bovington, which is like tank heaven. :thumbsup: All credit is due to him, of course.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

jcf

"Welding" as a method of fusing together metal parts has been around for millennia.
The gas, resistance and arc welding technologies all date from the late 19th century.

Turrets replaced by fixed multi-gun 'citadels' are another possibility, ditto replacing the suspension/tracks
with true Holt-Caterpillar style mechanisms ala the A7V.

dragon

To verify.
By "backdating", you mean as in the "Time warp" theme?
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Weaver

Not exactly straight-forward, but how about modifying the tracks so that they run around the top of the hull?

Replace the gun with one of those howitzers with a big recoil cylinder above the barrel.

An early Leo II would be ideal because of it's vertical turret front and sides. Just put lines of rivets down every corner.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Changing commander's cupolas for simple hatches.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: dragon on October 20, 2011, 10:46:14 PM
To verify.
By "backdating", you mean as in the "Time warp" theme?

Yep!

Thanks for the links Pyro!  :thumbsup:

Weaver I was thinking that too about the leopard II, I have the more advanced version the 2A6, it looks a little too sleek, OTOH it does have a short barrel and lots of bolts  :wacko:

I was thinking about adding screens to stop grenades from being throw on top, but I know that might interfere with turret operation... hey how about fixed turrets like Jagdtiger?

Weaver

Ironically, the older tanks in your list, the M48 and the M41, are the least easy to backdate, becuase of their cast turrets: for the 1915-1930 look, you really need flat plates and rivets, which, ironically come back (well flat plates at least) with Chobham....

QuotePosted on: Today at 02:59:14 PM Posted by: ChernayaAkula

Changing commander's cupolas for simple hatches. 

Or built-up flat-plate fixed cupolas. Another thing that has to go is the big gunner's sight.

Old-fashioned engine-dress would be good too: "beehive" air filters and a big external tubular silencer.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

raafif

external rectangular fuel-tank low-down across the back plate.
Yes !! one (or two) of those BIG vintage silencers on the engine-deck !

Crew ??  must have big Germanic helmets (with "horns") & gas masks - otherwise how would they breath inside with those leaky exhaust systems  ;D

Loving this  :cheers:
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.