Spitfire FG25

Started by andrewj, October 23, 2011, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

Following the Korean War in late 1953, the British Air Ministry decided it would be useful to have a low-cost ground attack / close support aircraft. this was due to the perceived success of aircraft like the P 51 Mustang and Skyraider in these roles in Korea.
The Vickers Supermarine company felt that such an aircraft could be produced at a very low cost to the Air Miniistry by converting existing Spitfire airframes that had become surplus to RAF requirements. Several F24's were therefore returned to Supermarines factory for conversion, this envolved removing the Griffon engines an replacing them with Rolls Royce Dart turbo-props, the wing radiators were removed and replaced with fuel tanks, the fuselage tanks were reduced in size due to the engine change, so combat tanks ,similar to those carried by the Seafire 47, were normally carried.
Twenty four of these conversions were eventually built from Mk 22 and 24 airframes, but due to changes in requirements never saw squadron service, some did however, find useful service with the RAF's Central Fighter Establishment, being used for Dissimilar air combat training. The F25 therefore proved very useful in training Sabre and Hunter pilots who were likely to have to fight similar aircraft during various bush-wars, during the 50's and 60's.

AXU

Turbo-prop Spit...nice  :thumbsup:!

Alex

Hobbes

That's a very different Spitfire! Well done!

The Big Gimper

Well done. Great idea. Much nice looking than the Wyvern. Build one with a tail hook? :thumbsup:
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

The Rat

WHOA NELLY! A lot of people are going to have forehead-slapping why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments when they see this!  :wub: :bow:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Kerrillc

TR, I wish I was that creative and no it did not occur to me at all! But it's gorgeous!
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

RussC

Nice concept! Just like the turbo mustang idea, a war2 airframe gets a second wind. Makes you wonder how a BF109 or a 190 would look mated to a big turboprop. The longnose Dora's were almost that outline anyway....  ...turbo Zero!
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

buzzbomb

Niiiice !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And why not, it makes a bit of sense to up engine.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on October 23, 2011, 12:15:23 PM
WHOA NELLY! A lot of people are going to have forehead-slapping why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments when they see this!  :wub: :bow:

Exactly, me being one of them!

That Dart really suits the long nose of the Spitfire airframe, but I do hope they installed some serious heat shielding in front of the pilot's right foot. That exhaust duct is awfully close!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

Nice idea, It is a different vision, but I imagine his new performance and I tremble with fear.  :blink:

andrewj

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 23, 2011, 03:59:14 PM

That Dart really suits the long nose of the Spitfire airframe, but I do hope they installed some serious heat shielding in front of the pilot's right foot. That exhaust duct is awfully close!

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, Yes , Kit, I think the nose should probably be slightly longer, the cockpit air -conditioning unit fitted behind and below the engine finding it very difficult to cope with the extra heat.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

>but I do hope they installed some serious heat shielding in front of the pilot's right foot. That exhaust duct is awfully close!<

But it would be convenient for the pilot to lean over and keep his cup of tea warm whilst sitting in the cockpit waiting to scramble!  ;D

But...I really like this whif---expertly done and highly appealing, Andrewj!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on October 24, 2011, 08:40:48 AM
But it would be convenient for the pilot to lean over and keep his cup of tea warm whilst sitting in the cockpit waiting to scramble!  ;D

..... or even to fry his breakfast eggs on!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

James

Aye up! That Spit is certainly different!
I like what I see.  :thumbsup: