Convair/Avro F-109/CF-109 Archer

Started by CammNut, October 23, 2011, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

This project has gone into a prolonged hiatus while I agonise over creating a set of appropriate landing gear, one which won't spoil the look, so I thought I would post the progress to date.

Backstory: When the North American F-108 Rapier was cancelled in 1959, the US Air Force issued an urgent requirement for a replacement long-range interceptor. After cancelling the Avro CF-105 Arrow, also in 1959, Canada joined the USAF in the search for a single interceptor with which to equip NORAD.

Convair offered a scaled-down, twin-engined version of the B-58 Hustler supersonic bomber, powered by the same General Electric J93 engines as the F-108. The logic was that adapting a proven design would reduce risk and speed development.

When Convair won the competition in 1960, it joined forces with Avro Canada to develop the aircraft as the F-109 for the US Air Force and CF-109 for what was to become the Canadian Armed Forces. The aircraft was named the Archer, which is the same in English and French.

This project was inspired by the B-58 that was modified to test the Hughes ASG-18 radar for the F-108 and by a scaled-down, twin-engined Hustler-like concept (but with side-by-side seating) that Convair designed for the LRIX long-range interceptor competition won by North American with the F-108.

The model is a 1/96 Lindberg B-58 masquerading as 1/72, with engine pods from a 1/64 Lindberg Hustler, windshield from a Tornado and canopy from a Tomcat (which also supplied the Phoenix missiles and their underfuselage adaptors). Markings are from a CAF CF-101B Voodoo, using decals by Leading Edge Models (excellent, with tons of stenciling).

The Archer is shown with a late-model, Phoenix-armed Canadian Forces CF-101 Arrow from a previous modeling phase (and on which the decals have gone murky with time, sadly). The landing gear, when added, will be modeled on the Arrow's, with tandem main wheels. I already have 1/48 white-metal Saab Viggen main legs that should so the trick.

RussC

Awesome. And that could export into a lot of NATO paint schemes and markings.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Maverick

Very nice stuff & welcome aboard.

Regards,

Mav

PR19_Kit

That does work REMARKABLY well, both in plastic and words.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

Sweet. Nice use of mixed scale components. Oh and any CAF aircraft looks better in 409 SQN markings.   :mellow:
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

CammNut

Thanks. folks. I knew it had to be one colour - as that is all I can manage - and I thought that such a long, sleek aircraft would look good with the long stripe down the side, And it does!

Daryl J.

Beautifully done and welcome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

At first I thought this was an extension of real world Convair B-58 projects with some Canadian markings added.   Ya got me.     :bow:

Scooterman

The Rat

Some times you just have to sit back and say WOW!  :wub: :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Great Job. Welcome! Love the CF-109!  It is just fine without landing gear.  Out of curiosity did you consider a pod like the B-58 to store the missiles? -not there is anything wrong with the Phoenix fit.  Just wondering. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Ed S

Nicely done. It's always good to see a well done, clever scalarama. Looks appropriately 50's-60's.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Cobra

Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looks Awesome! looks almost like something you'd see in 'Thunderbirds',Stingray,or Captain Scarlet Episodes! i could just picture in my head, a Scramble Klaxon going off @ a CAF Base and crews running for their Aircraft! Keep up the Great Work :cheers: :cheers: Dan

rickshaw

That's quite nice.  Looks the part!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!