The Premier RAF display team. (Now with added outsideness!)

Started by TallEng, October 25, 2011, 06:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Brilliant!!
Didn't the Red Arrows use the Gnat before the Hawk?

albeback

Quote from: Rheged on October 25, 2011, 07:52:25 AM
At the risk of introducing inter service rivalry, may I put in a word for "Simon's Circus"  and their  FAA Sea Vixens

;D Put in as many words as you like!! I was privileged to see Simon's Circus perform in 1968.  Amazing to see these huge fighters put on a display that would do credit to the Arrows!. Unfortunately, I believe Lt Cmdr Simon Idiens was killed when his Phantom crashed the year after the team was disbanded?
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

albeback

Quote from: McColm on October 27, 2011, 11:55:40 PM
Brilliant!!
Didn't the Red Arrows use the Gnat before the Hawk?

Indeed they did! And, before we had the Red Arrows, we had The Yellowjacks - also flying the Gnat!  Now I just had a crazy idea involving the new Airfix Gnat!! Anybody else fancy building 2 complete aerobatic teams!! ;D

The old Gnat T1 was my first ever foray into kit assembling ( as opposed to building!! ;D). 1967 I believe!!
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Rheged

Quote from: albeback on October 28, 2011, 12:34:49 AM
Quote from: Rheged on October 25, 2011, 07:52:25 AM
At the risk of introducing inter service rivalry, may I put in a word for "Simon's Circus"  and their  FAA Sea Vixens

;D Put in as many words as you like!! I was privileged to see Simon's Circus perform in 1968.  Amazing to see these huge fighters put on a display that would do credit to the Arrows!. Unfortunately, I believe Lt Cmdr Simon Idiens was killed when his Phantom crashed the year after the team was disbanded?

I too saw  the dancing Vixens in 1968 and was mightily impressed. You'd not expect to see aircraft of that size behaving as they did!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on October 28, 2011, 12:49:54 AM
I too saw  the dancing Vixens in 1968 and was mightily impressed. You'd not expect to see aircraft of that size behaving as they did!!

Even more amazing was the Scimitar team flown by 807 NAS. They did a six aircraft take-off and their routine included a singleton picking up a banner from the airfield with an extension fitted to its arrestor hook and the first ever 'Twinkle Roll', in Scimitars! To cap it all they landed all six of the aircraft at once, two from one end of the runway and the other four from the OPPOSITE end, the pair folding their wings en route to make a gap big enough for the others to get through!  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 28, 2011, 01:45:21 AM
I too saw  the dancing Vixens in 1968 and was mightily impressed. You'd not expect to see aircraft of that size behaving as they did!!

Even more amazing was the Scimitar team flown by 807 NAS. They did a six aircraft take-off and their routine included a singleton picking up a banner from the airfield with an extension fitted to its arrestor hook and the first ever 'Twinkle Roll', in Scimitars! To cap it all they landed all six of the aircraft at once, two from one end of the runway and the other four from the OPPOSITE end, the pair folding their wings en route to make a gap big enough for the others to get through!  :o :o

That is something I would very much like to have seen!

I suppose that the FAA are so used to manoeuvring  on restricted flight decks that a whole airfield   runway that isn't doing 25 knots on a choppy sea is a  luxury for them.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I was 12 at the time 807 did their party trick at Farnborough in '59 and I was right on the front row on the Saturday, so I got a great view of it. The commentator told us what was going to happen, about them about to land from both ends at once, but omitted to mention the folding wing trick!

To say I was gob-smacked was an understatement! My Dad had seen it the day before and he said my face was a picture when they did it, he was looking at me at the time, watching for my reaction.  ;D

I Googled for a piccie of them doing it, but with no joy. Bizarrely Google Images came up with a piccie of my Convair-Hawker Osprey when I was searching under '807 NAS Scimitar Farnborough'!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Wouldn't be allowed now - health and safety  :banghead: Just glad I grew up in the 50/60's and was allowed to enjoy myself
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 28, 2011, 07:56:23 AM

Wouldn't be allowed now - health and safety  :banghead: Just glad I grew up in the 50/60's and was allowed to enjoy myself

Well I grew up in the late 60`s and managed to miss the Scimiters, Sea Vixens, Black Arrows, Blue Diamonds..........
Steam trains, most of FROG kits.....
The list could go on, but you get the Picture.
Anyway, Thanks for all the positive comments, and the interesting thread drift :thumbsup:

Regards
  Keith   (who needs to finish a DH106 Comet C2R3)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Pablo1965

I like your new photos. I have taken the liberty to make this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

andrewj

Quote from: Rheged on October 28, 2011, 02:17:48 AM

That is something I would very much like to have seen!

I suppose that the FAA are so used to manoeuvring  on restricted flight decks that a whole airfield   runway that isn't doing 25 knots on a choppy sea is a  luxury for them.

This reminds me of an old Wren cartoon, in a RAF Yearbook many years ago, shows a Phantom landing "all over the place" and two RAF controllers watching. One says to the other, "That's Flt Lt Smith, ex FAA, say's he'd have made a better job of landing if the runway hadn,t been so damn stationary".

TallEng

Quote from: Pablo1965 on October 28, 2011, 03:37:24 PM
I like your new photos. I have taken the liberty to make this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks Pablo1965, that`s brilliant!   :cheers:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

lancer

Which just goes to prove that SENIOR service pilots are eminentaly superior to thier Crab Air counterparts.. :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die