Clipped Wing Canuck: My first WHIF post

Started by bobbo, October 25, 2011, 05:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

A few weeks ago, I picked up a few kits at my Not So Local Hobby Shop (the nearest decent one is @ 45 miles south of me), one of which was the Hobbycraft CF-100 Canuck.  So far, I've started the usual interior paint stuff, glued some subassemblies together and CLIPPED THE OUTER WING PANELS OFF.  I plan on using the larger wingtip fuel tanks, but putting them UNDER the wingtips, sort of like the F-80 Shooting Star.  Also, I'm planning to add some sort of greeblies to the rear cockpit, the Carpet Monster got the ejection seat. 

So . . . single seat, clipped wing Canuck.  What color/paint scheme?  What country?  What backstory?

Oh, the possibilities I can see!

Yes, I'm open to suggestions, folks!

bobbo

Cobra

You could make it an 'Eastern Alliance' Interceptor from 'Joe 90' and give like a Black and White Square & a Bort Number saying it was a Frontal Aviantion Defense Aircraft. that work for You? Dan

Weaver

Single seat CAS aircraft for support of the Canadian forces in Vietnam?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on October 25, 2011, 06:30:37 PM
Single seat CAS aircraft for support of the Canadian forces in Vietnam?

Gets a nod from me. I had ideas for a 'Nam one too, all-weather recce maybe. CAS would be cool!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Daryl J.

Royal Cannukian Defense of The Boosh and based in Saskatoon?   
Greenpeace Salmon Defence Fighter? 

Sounds as though you've got a great project, hope you don't mind the sillies above.
:cheers:
Daryl J.

The Rat

I was thinking about a ground support version, and for some reason had visions of placing the wings on top of the fuselage and making shorter, sturdier landing gear.

Oh, by the way, that is a really evil little bit of plastic, do lots of test fits and be prepared to have fits!  :banghead: Make certain that when you construct the two-piece ejection seat the headrest is as low as possible otherwise the canopy won't fit.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

bobbo

Quote from: Daryl J. on October 25, 2011, 09:04:43 PM
Royal Cannukian Defense of The Boosh and based in Saskatoon?   
Greenpeace Salmon Defence Fighter? 

Sounds as though you've got a great project, hope you don't mind the sillies above.
:cheers:
Daryl J.

Sillies?  Man, they're half the fun!

Actually, I won't get any more work done the next day or three, too much RL going on . . . Maybe a pic or two if I can get the hang of posting??

bobbo

bobbo

Quote from: The Rat on October 25, 2011, 09:22:09 PM
I was thinking about a ground support version, and for some reason had visions of placing the wings on top of the fuselage and making shorter, sturdier landing gear.

Oh, by the way, that is a really evil little bit of plastic, do lots of test fits and be prepared to have fits!  :banghead: Make certain that when you construct the two-piece ejection seat the headrest is as low as possible otherwise the canopy won't fit.  :blink:

"a really evil little bit of plastic"  No lie, man!  I knew that up front, but knowing and REALLY knowing are two different things . . .

ANYway, I have made some progress (with a lot of filler!):  Wings clipped, PSR, basic assembly, PSR, tanks assembled & taped in place . . .

Now to see how to post pics . . .

Clipped wings . . .

Wings on . . .

((Now to see if this worked . . . )

bobbo

<EDIT>  IT WORKED!!

Captain Canada

Cool. Like the idea of the underwing tanks. I think cutting off the wing extensions reverts it from a mk.5 to a 4 ? But maybe some late 4's had the long wing as well ? Either case, it's gotta be finished in CDN markings. Or Belgian. But CDN would be better...... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

bobbo

Actually, I was sort of thinking of adding a tailhook, and possibly RCN markings . . .

Or maybe some missiles & Eastern European (Czech??  Polish??   Albanian??) markings.

Or USN markings? 

What do you think, folks?

bobbo

Modelling_Mushi

Go for RCN, but what about the camo? Could you use the Alaskan F16 aggressor scheme ont his one, it would look cool.
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

MilitaryAircraft101

Looking great!  :o A suggestion - Mabye a Canuck would look sexier with a more pointed nose, Ala F/A-18 or F-16? Great work anyway  :party:

Old Wombat

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on October 31, 2011, 11:14:30 PM
Looking great!  :o A suggestion - Mabye a Canuck would look sexier with a more pointed nose, Ala F/A-18 or F-16? Great work anyway  :party:

Sweet build, for sure, but I disagree re: the nose - there's something about that rounded nose that pushes me towards early-Czech/Polish jet.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

MilitaryAircraft101

Just an idea anyway, maybe something charming about that round nose   &lt;_&lt;

bobbo

No progress for the next few days, I will be out of town, playing with my granddaughter (9 months old) so modelling will take a back seat.  I will take a few minutes (more like an hour or two!) to check out the LHS near her & her parents.  A few more items in my stash!

bobbo