Trimotors of all eras

Started by Daryl J., October 26, 2011, 09:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

How about a slightly enlarged Northrop Gamma sporting 3?   Or a S.M. 79 with curvier wings, tail, and the cockpit moved significantly aft?    Corrugated STOL slats and, to use a WhiffCliche, uprated engines on a Ford Trimotor for bush pilot duty?

Leading Observer

Would Tri-jets count? HS Trident as RAF Tanker?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

JayBee

Quote from: Leading Observer on October 26, 2011, 11:22:21 AM
Would Tri-jets count? HS Trident as RAF Tanker?
Desist from such thoughts, I have been working on that model for at least the last ten years, it is the third of the triad the first two being

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25003.0.html

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26266.0.html

My Trident K1 will have three RR Conways which should get it of the ground quite easily.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Daryl J.

Short fuselage 727 with an underbelly radome for some early AWACS aircraft.
Plausability?  I have no idea. 

Dork the kit slayer

Im pretty sure Martin did a tilt wing STOL trimotor a couple of years ago.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

NARSES2

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on October 27, 2011, 05:44:34 AM
Im pretty sure Martin did a tilt wing STOL trimotor a couple of years ago.

He did indeed, from an actual patent as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

He used a Ford Tri-motor as a basis, and it looks great. 1930s VSTOL!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

I've always thought the B-26 Marauder would tri-motor nicely, since it has a circular-section fuselage.

Another project, which I have half an intention of actually doing, is tri-motoring a Wellesley by fitting Wellington wings. It's not short of wing area to start with, but the Wimpy ones add another 10 feet to the span IIRC so it's getting into Kit's territory, althuogh my idea was actually to make it a torpedo bomber....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Daryl J.

Someone was building up a Lockheed Electra which was photographed with the nose cone off and I thought aha!   Add an aft fuselage extension in the passenger compartment above the wing to counterbalance the extra weight of the engine and voila.     Idea good for any of Lockheed's twins.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on October 27, 2011, 09:12:37 AM
I've always thought the B-26 Marauder would tri-motor nicely, since it has a circular-section fuselage.

Here you go.....

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on October 27, 2011, 09:12:37 AM
Another project, which I have half an intention of actually doing, is tri-motoring a Wellesley by fitting Wellington wings. It's not short of wing area to start with, but the Wimpy ones add another 10 feet to the span IIRC so it's getting into Kit's territory, althuogh my idea was actually to make it a torpedo bomber....

Now you're talking.........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

simmie

I remember that Greg did a Tri-motor Wellington and a Dakota (Maybe!??)
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

raafif

like that B-three-six Marauder, Weaver  :thumbsup:

anyone want to make a Tilt-rotor Tri-motor Ju-52 ?  Fixed center-engine for forward flight while the other two tilt up for take-off & hover.

==== Skorenzy drops into Berlin to evacuate Hitler, 1945 ====
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

RussC

The B-26 was a fast machine with two engines, it would be a screamer with three. Another fast nosewheel design that might work with three is the P-61 Black Widow, although the SCR-720 radar is a bit fat to live near the wingtips. How about the XF-11 with the tiny nose bubble swapped for a third engine?

Mosquito?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

rickshaw

Quote from: RussC on October 27, 2011, 06:59:22 PM
The B-26 was a fast machine with two engines, it would be a screamer with three. Another fast nosewheel design that might work with three is the P-61 Black Widow, although the SCR-720 radar is a bit fat to live near the wingtips. How about the XF-11 with the tiny nose bubble swapped for a third engine?

Mosquito?

Why put the third engine in the nose on the P-61?  ;)

I wonder about those cheek machineguns on the B-26, though. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.