Saro SR107C

Started by TallEng, October 29, 2011, 05:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

A Little while ago I bought Trumpeters F107, Cos it  was cheap (and it looked mad)
Anyway I started it with the idea of finishing it as a whiff in ADC grey (See Ian the Hunter-Gatherer if you want to know how it should look) or perhaps Vietnam 3 colour camouflage,
but the more I looked at it the more I realised that it didn`t look quite right, in fact some of it needed to be "Adjusted" :drink:
I mean its fairly obvious that the nose was on upside down, and the fin was far to big, plus a couple of other minor points, ;D
So I "Adjusted" it a bit, and now I`ve got this;

Which I think looks like something that Saro might have come up with, as I`m pretty sure there is room at the back for a couple of small rockets next to that great big exhaust!

What do you think?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Maverick

Always loved the 107 and did my own as an Ilmavoimat machine a few years ago.

Nifty idea though, quite logical in looks given the nature of the beast.  Have to agree with the SARO idea.  Seems like a natural evolution from the 53 & 177 although I guess you'd have to make it something other than 107 if that was the case.

Regards,

Mav

rickshaw

Damn.  I've had this on the books for some time to do.  Wasn't sure how it would turn out but it looks good!  Well done!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Nice one Keith --  :thumbsup:

In the Tony Butler book "American Secret Projects', there's a number of 3-Views and sketches of Super Sabres that look like that, one almost exactly like that IIRC.  The intake got switched to the top because of what weapons it was suppose to carry and the lower intake got in the way or something like that.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Good idea, looks much better than the original.

flappydaffy

nice one  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks better than the original, but I must say that in this configuration I find the intake to be a little "small"  :drink: looking forward to seeing it painted :)

cheers
julian

PR19_Kit

Something like a late model F-16 'Big Mouth' grafted under there would look SERIOUSLY awesome. It would go with that monster jet pipe nicely too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Interesting idea but how does it work with the landing gear on top?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Nice one Talleng - this is something I'm determined to do to mine one day! :thumbsup: Mine will have the intake one "bay" further forwards though, with a scratchbuilt panel behind the cockpit to fill the gap.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 29, 2011, 09:23:08 AM
Something like a late model F-16 'Big Mouth' grafted under there would look SERIOUSLY awesome. It would go with that monster jet pipe nicely too.
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 29, 2011, 07:08:55 AM
Nice one Keith --  :thumbsup:

In the Tony Butler book "American Secret Projects', there's a number of 3-Views and sketches of Super Sabres that look like that, one almost exactly like that IIRC.  The intake got switched to the top because of what weapons it was suppose to carry and the lower intake got in the way or something like that.

Ah! I did wonder about that, thought I'd read/seen that other intake configurations were tried (suppose I should have bought that book!)
Never mind, onward and upward.

Yes Kit that intake looks like it would struggle to feed an Engine half the size fitted to the 107!
I shall have to find something a bit bigger and more Saroish!

Oh and by the way what sort of diameter (roughly in '72 scale) was the rocket motor fitted to the SR53? anybody got the old Airfix kit to measure up?
Thanks in advance.
Keith
(who thought he'd found an "easy" one to do)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Mr.Creak

Quote from: philp on October 29, 2011, 09:27:52 AM
Interesting idea but how does it work with the landing gear on top?
The pilot has to exercise great care.
What if... I had a brain?

Modelling_Mushi

That looks excellent done like that!

Quote from: flappydaffy on October 29, 2011, 08:36:38 AM
nice one  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks better than the original, but I must say that in this configuration I find the intake to be a little "small"  :drink: looking forward to seeing it painted :)

Of course the intake would be perfectly sized if the big pipe were the rocket motor and Saro had slipped in some small jet engines just to get the thing airborne  :wacko:
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Hobbes

Quote from: TallEng on October 29, 2011, 12:22:04 PM

Oh and by the way what sort of diameter (roughly in '72 scale) was the rocket motor fitted to the SR53? anybody got the old Airfix kit to measure up?
Thanks in advance.
Keith
(who thought he'd found an "easy" one to do)

The diameter of the exhaust is about 5 mm in 1/72.