Vickers Wellesley 'Mark II' whif potential

Started by kitbasher, October 30, 2011, 08:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Some good reference material for a Wellesley whif on Britmodeller at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79233&st=0.
All news to me I must say - and a fascinating aircraft just got fascinatinger.
Now all that's needed is to replace the rear gunner glazing with a turret and pop a Bristol Hercules on the front and.....oooh, the whffing juices are flowing!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TallEng

Top find  :thumbsup:
I've got a Matchbox wellesley too :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

dogsbody

The Matchbox kit will give you this:

It shouldn't take much to convert it to this:

Images are from here: http://wp.scn.ru/
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitbasher

Scale drawing of the canopy at http://aircraftdrawingsdownload.com/files/wellsley.pdf.
Whiffery could of course use a Fairey Battle's galzing as the source.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

RotorheadTX

I've got one on the go right now..... rear gunners position removed, Hercules from an Airfix Sunderland, 4-bladed prop.
Best of all..... paint scheme for Wg Cdr Spackman's personal aircraft.  :wacko:

Martin H

Quote from: RotorheadTX on October 30, 2011, 12:13:11 PM
I've got one on the go right now..... rear gunners position removed, Hercules from an Airfix Sunderland, 4-bladed prop.
Best of all..... paint scheme for Wg Cdr Spackman's personal aircraft.  :wacko:

Oh dear  :rolleyes:

This photo dates from 2005 and is seen with its infamous replacement. I like the idea of fitting it with a Hercules thou

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Best of all..... paint scheme for Wg Cdr Spackman's personal aircraft.  :wacko:

Hehe, I can hardly wait to see THAT one!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

I just wish someone did a 1/48th kit.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

I've often thought that with those huge wings the obvious whif would be to put a couple of more engines on there for a 3-engine job, or just have one on each wing and rework the nose. Couple of Merlins maybe?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Martin H on October 30, 2011, 12:47:33 PM
I've got one on the go right now..... rear gunners position removed, Hercules from an Airfix Sunderland, 4-bladed prop.....
Oh dear  :rolleyes:

Oh dear is right - wish I had seen that before.  :banghead:

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on October 31, 2011, 03:59:30 AM
I've often thought that with those huge wings the obvious whif would be to put a couple of more engines on there for a 3-engine job, or just have one on each wing and rework the nose. Couple of Merlins maybe?

Or as I've proposed a number of times, just stick Wellington wings and engines on it: it only adds about 10 feet to the span.

You colud always put the Wellesley wings back on the Wimpy to make a seriously big glider.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on October 31, 2011, 05:16:51 AMYou colud always put the Wellesley wings back on the Wimpy to make a seriously big glider.... :wacko:

Oh YEAH!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

There's some nice inspiration there - always liked the Wellesley  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've had one in build for WELL over 10 years now, maybe nearer 15. I really should do something with it, and lots of inspiration for that here.....  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit