Billy Mitchell's Floating Airbases

Started by KJ_Lesnick, October 31, 2011, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Does it have its own Senator and Congressmen?  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2011, 06:04:30 AM
Does it have its own Senator and Congressmen?  ;) ;D

We'll use them as them as crash absorbers in the arrestor "barrier" nets :wacko: or as oarsmen....

It looks like a Bechtel concept. Note the garage for LCAC's under the stern.

I might make an expansion art of this, put in Jacuzzi's between those CIWS turrets on the fantail.  ;D
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Burncycle

I was looking at the Jahre Viking... built to commercial standards, with the same size deck overhang as a Nimitz... that bad boy wouldn't have any problems operating C-130 and C-27 even with a deckpark.  Would be a nice mobile logistics hub (think depot level maintenance facilities)

KJ_Lesnick

If an independent Air Force was formed in the early 1920's along the lines of either Generals Mitchell and Patrick, and mobile airbases like this were built, what would have come of carrier aviation?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

It would have continued to develop.   The floating airbases were limited in application in that their movement was too slow to allow rapid thrusts into enemy territory.   They could be assured to be in the right place at the right time to influence naval battles.

KJ_Lesnick

rickshaw

QuoteIt would have continued to develop.   The floating airbases were limited in application in that their movement was too slow to allow rapid thrusts into enemy territory.   They could be assured to be in the right place at the right time to influence naval battles.

Yeah, but most independent air-forces generally didn't seem to value naval aviation much.  The RAF viewed it to be rather unimportant compared to it's land based fighter and bomber commands; the USAAF/USAF roundly disliked carriers because they were aviation assets they couldn't control.

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Are you assuming that if these floating bases existed that the USN wouldn't have any carriers or airborne assets, apart perhaps from airships? Somehow I can't see that happening, but hwo can say?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Found in a military presentation, this slide using an illustration from Popular Science. The text in the previous slide was: "This is not seabasing!".

PR19_Kit

Blimey, runways in all directions, including one with a bend in the middle!  :o

Regards
Kit

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 16, 2011, 01:36:18 AM
Blimey, runways in all directions, including one with a bend in the middle!  :o

Looks like harbors, SAM sites, ICBM launchers, a shopping mall and a Burger King too....

I think that bend in the middle is the artist's interpretation of a ski-jump for the jets, he's taken some other liberties with perspective , lighting and the curve of our planet too.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski