Billy Mitchell's Floating Airbases

Started by KJ_Lesnick, October 31, 2011, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Though he never pursued the idea, early on he had expressed an interest in floating airbases, expressing them as cheaper to build and superior to battleships.  Was he talking about

- An aircraft carrier?
- A runway mounted atop a towed barge with aircraft on it?
- Like a fixed runway at sea -- like an oil-rig, but with runways on it?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

scooter

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on October 31, 2011, 12:30:49 PM
Though he never pursued the idea, early on he had expressed an interest in floating airbases, expressing them as cheaper to build and superior to battleships.  Was he talking about

- An aircraft carrier?
- A runway mounted atop a towed barge with aircraft on it?
- Like a fixed runway at sea -- like an oil-rig, but with runways on it?

I'd almost think he was thinking something along the lines of a truly Super-carrier, maybe even something along the lines of Habbakuk
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

KJ_Lesnick

scooter

QuoteI'd almost think he was thinking something along the lines of a truly Super-carrier, maybe even something along the lines of Habbakuk

Sounds odd because he was describing his mobile airbases as *cheaper* to build than battleships.  Something like that sounds exceedingly expensive...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Green Dragon

"Floating Airbases" always seemed to me like the large Barge option, maybe made from rapidly built Liberty Ship style hull sections, with a very large wooden deck on top capable of taking bombers. Doubt a Catamaran layout would work but maybe three or four long hulls might. Wouldn't like to stick it in the middle of an Atlantic storm though! Could have engines in two of the hulls for some mobility.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

KJ_Lesnick

Paul Harrison

Quote"Floating Airbases" always seemed to me like the large Barge option, maybe made from rapidly built Liberty Ship style hull sections, with a very large wooden deck on top capable of taking bombers.

I didn't know you could build a ship by chopping up a bunch of smaller ships and cobbling everything together.  I'd figure you'd need to do some refinements to the shape.

QuoteDoubt a Catamaran layout would work but maybe three or four long hulls might. Wouldn't like to stick it in the middle of an Atlantic storm though! Could have engines in two of the hulls for some mobility.

Nah, a catamaran hull would work.  They've been around for a long time and can work even at high speeds.  You could put engine rooms in both hulls and you'd have sufficient speed to work with.  

I'm wondering if Mitchell realized that this would be considered an Aircraft Carrier and would be subject to various limitations (such as the Washington Naval Treaty)

The Rat

You've just given me a crazy idea - helicopter bases, flying Sikorsky R-4s, disguised to look like little islands, complete with a palm tree.  :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rickshaw

I remember reading that nowadays they have floating oil refineries.  One apparently is off the coast of Greenland but because of the dangers of icebergs its designed to be disassembled in a few days by unlinking the floating elements and moving them out of the way of the approaching iceberg.  This apparently happens every year or so, so they have some practice at doing it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

RussC

Remember the Habbakuk designs too.

As a military idea, floating islands are non practical in the nuclear era- But today might be a different story in the rebirth of counter insurgency interventionism.

Remember the flying airbases in the film "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" ?

Non military ideas are occasionally floated in the form of floating residential projects on the Inland Sea of Japan or in other Asian countries plus roaming colonies of Uber Libertarians who would go to Mars to avoid taxation.

Those early designs in Popular mechanics are a reflection of the shorter range of the period aircraft.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Stargazer

When you consider the surface of the oceans on this planet, it seems like sheer nonsense not to put it to better use by constructing floating platforms or undersea bases to take full advantage of it...

RussC

December 18, 1943' and B flight of Coastal Command Sqn 666 is in the pattern for base 235 "Orion" with their US built Northrop PBRM2 "Manta" ASW aircraft.
Location ...  "Somewhere mid-Ocean".

markmarples

i like that idea, but too expand on it, could it be submersible?
Regards

Mark

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

RussC

Quote from: markmarples on November 19, 2011, 01:01:14 AM
i like that idea, but too expand on it, could it be submersible?

It would look a bit different, but that could be done.  It would be very unwieldy underwater.