Billy Mitchell's Floating Airbases

Started by KJ_Lesnick, October 31, 2011, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Wow, that's one mother of a gun in the upper right!  :o :blink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on November 19, 2011, 05:26:45 AM

Yeah, I'd call the main battery from a battleship a mother of a gun...  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Rat

Quote from: scooter on November 19, 2011, 06:56:14 AM

Yeah, I'd call the main battery from a battleship a mother of a gun...  :wacko:

Looks even bigger, take a look at it in comparison to the aircraft taking off, it dwarfs it!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

RussC

Wow, that's one mother of a gun in the upper right!  :o :blink:

We wouldn't want the Tirpitz pitting and dirtying the runways.... Note also next to the turret a sheltered slipway for ships so tankers and supply craft can dock and unload protected from attack and weather by the bulk of the facility.

Thanks everyone.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

jcf

KJ_Lesnick

So Mitchell's floating airbases were not mobile?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 21, 2011, 05:59:23 PM

Perhaps they move, because of their mass and shape, very, very slowly and have to be towed?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

RussC

Fort Drum was a island in the Phillipines near Corregidor that was completely concreted over and armed with twin gun turrets, it was - and still is- firmly anchored to the planet. The Mitchell designs were mobile as is the one I painted, although not capable of speed records! Some designs are like drilling platforms and will use sea legs. There were coastal forts in England built this way, as well as Early warning radar sites off the USA.

rickshaw

Quote from: RussC on November 21, 2011, 11:15:05 PM

Fort Drum was a island in the Phillipines near Corregidor that was completely concreted over and armed with twin gun turrets, it was - and still is- firmly anchored to the planet. The Mitchell designs were mobile as is the one I painted, although not capable of speed records! Some designs are like drilling platforms and will use sea legs. There were coastal forts in England built this way, as well as Early warning radar sites off the USA.

I thought the US's radar platforms the "Texas Towers" were floaters, anchored to the sea bed?  Apparently they weren't terribly successful - the platform's movement made their radars inaccurate while they were abandoned because of storms (and in one case nearly boarded and taken as salvage by a Soviet "trawler" when the Russians realised they were empty!
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: RussC on November 21, 2011, 11:15:05 PM
There were coastal forts in England built this way.......

Some of them still exist to this day. In the Thames Estuary there are a number of leg supported forts a few miles north of Whitstable, I used to sail by them quite closely when the Olau Line ferries still operated from Sheerness to Vlissingen.

(Copyrite Chris West)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

I wonder how this would have hurt carrier aviation if these were built...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

RussC

It may not have changed carrier air too much, but may have increased the number of engagements because a carrier could be re-stocked with spares and planes from these bases instead of returning to ports to meet supply ships.
  Such a floating base would have been a lot less vulnerable to the divine wind.

RussC

Probably still would be separate services.  :mellow:

KJ_Lesnick

Once long range bombers existed though the Navy would be doomed...

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.