Mid fuselage propellors

Started by Caveman, November 04, 2011, 10:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

A topic to discuss and reveal aircraft, designs and their uses, which have their propellors (not engines) located mid fuselage. Or which aircraft would look good (cause thats basically the most important thing...) with mid fuselage props?

I know of a couple of examples to illustrate...

Daimler Benz Jager

I think for the purpose of better visibility... though looking at that loooooong nose im not too sure anymore...

and of course the triebflugel

there is also the SPAD A2

Before interrupter gears there was this...

also, more modern is the Hummingbird aerobatic aircraft concept (which has flown as a scale model)

very similar in configuration to the heinkel wespe and lerche

any more for anymore?

what are the benefits of a mid propellor aircraft and would they outweigh the structural penalties and the power train complication/losses?

secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

There's the Fantrainer and the Optica, both of which have ducted fans behind the cockpit area, and are similar in concept to Hummingbird.

As for the structural and visibility issues, I'm not sure I care too much, they all look ultra-cool!  ;D ;) :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Gallaudet company in the US had several WWI era designs that featured an amidships propeller.
The most famous were the single D-1 (two Duesenberg engines) and and two D-4 (single Liberty) floatplanes
built between 1916 and 1920:

The unbuilt Gallaudet amidships-propeller, front-engined monoplane designs included both two-seat military and single-seat
mailplane types. I'll dig out and scan some drawings later.

GTX

One I did a while back:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

raafif

if 1 is first & 2 is second, I score GTX's drawing a Zer0  :thumbsup:

One of us Whiffers posted his Macchi C-213 on his own site -- unfortunately, both guy & his site have disappeared.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Pablo1965

Very interesting and suggestive.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Weaver

With a traditional small-diameter propellor shaft, I suspect any advantages are strongly outweighed by the structural problems, which is why there've been relatively few such designs proposed and even fewer produced. The ducted fan is one solution to this, since it's approaching the structural condition of a single-engined jet plane with a very wide engine.

Another approach might be to have many blades on a wide-diameter ring which runs around the outside of a stationary, and stucturally sound, tubular fuselage. The ring could have internal gear teeth driven by a gear attached to a piston engine in the fuselage, or for a moden one it could perhaps be gas driven by exhaust from a turbine (making it, in effect, an unducted turbofan/propfan). The ring and it's associated bearing surfaces would be awfully heavy though, and again, it's hard to see what the advantage would be. No reason not to do it "just 'cos it looks cool" though.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Didn't several Luft'46 designs feature a front fuselage supported by canards which were in turn connected back to the main wing so getting around the structure problems of using a thin drive shaft?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

They did indeed.

The problem with all these things is not so much how to do it as what's the point? There don't seem to be an compelling advantages of the layout that couldn't be acheived just as well by say, a J-21-style pusher-engined twin-boom design that has far fewer structural challenges.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

With the Treibflugel there's an obvious reason why the wing/prop is in the middle, and that's because it IS a wing/prop. The lift generating part of its function would have been best exerted in the centre of the airframe. Which reminds me that I have one in The Loft somewhere, I must get it out and think what to do with it........

It's darn difficult seeing why the DB thingie should want the props in the middle though, even though it looks outstanding!  ;D

Regards
Kit

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2011, 02:47:11 AM
With the Treibflugel there's an obvious reason why the wing/prop is in the middle, and that's because it IS a wing/prop. The lift generating part of its function would have been best exerted in the centre of the airframe. Which reminds me that I have one in The Loft somewhere, I must get it out and think what to do with it........

It's darn difficult seeing why the DB thingie should want the props in the middle though, even though it looks outstanding!  ;D

Agreed, they DO look good - especially the D B Jager! Just one small problem springs to mind!! How is the pilot supposed to abandon his aircraft in an emergency without being sliced & diced? one assumes some type of ejection seat or, detachable nose section? :-\
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

RussC

Quote from: albeback on November 05, 2011, 03:29:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2011, 02:47:11 AM

Agreed, they DO look good - especially the D B Jager! Just one small problem springs to mind!! How is the pilot supposed to abandon his aircraft in an emergency without being sliced & diced? one assumes some type of ejection seat or, detachable nose section? :-\

Same problem with the Triebfluegel and with combat helicopters using ejectors...answer, destructing prop or rotor hubs. Also dangerous are the rear pusher podded types like the Tachikawa Ki-94 or jets like the Gotha P-60A, the VolksJaeger and the F-107.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

Quote from: RussC on November 05, 2011, 05:03:01 AM
Same problem with the Triebfluegel and with combat helicopters using ejectors...answer, destructing prop or rotor hubs. Also dangerous are the rear pusher podded types like the Tachikawa Ki-94 or jets like the Gotha P-60A, the VolksJaeger and the F-107.

Yes, that's the answer. Blow the blades off as the first stage of the ejection sequence. I think one of the Russian combat choppers was the first to do that in the RW, the Mil 28 perhaps?

Regards
Kit

Weaver

It's the Ka-50 Hokum that has the ejector seat Kit. Not so much a seat as a "pack" actually: when you pull the lever, the rotor blades jettison on explosive bolts, the seat tilts forwards and a rocket that's not attached to the seat fires, dragging you out on a lanyard attached to your parachute harness (striking a Rocket Man pose is optional).....in theory. Of course, if the damage that's forcing you to eject has cut the wires to the explosive rotor bolts..... :o

- Indiana Jones