Malta Spitfire

Started by NARSES2, November 06, 2011, 02:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is one of my 1941 Group Builds for Telford

Spitfire Mk II (Trop) of 185 Sqd Hal Far Malta in Nov 1941.

In mid 1941 a number of Spitfire MK II's were shipped via the West Africa route to the Middle East. On arrival there some of them were quietly shipped to Malta from Alexandria whilst a large convoy from Gibraltar was occupying the Axis Air Forces.

Once there these aircraft greatly contributed to the air defence of this Island Bastion, and has to be said came as a nasty suprise to the Axis when they first appeared.

The model represents an aircraft of 185 sqd after it's repaint in the sand/green/Mediterranean blue scheme and after the addition of the "Hal Far" tropical filter which was based on blue prints of the Vokes filter shipped in via submarine when it was realised some form of sand/dust filter was required.

Model is the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk I with the 3D Models Mk II conversion kit and an AZ Vokes filter fitted - suitably adapted to Hal Far pattern  :rolleyes: The scheme is as worn by 185's actual Hurricanes and is a combination of Xtracrylic for the upper colours and White Ensign for the Med Blue.

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Looks good.  Was the Hal Far pattern better or worse than the store bought Vokes' one?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

You could display that on the Spitfire SIG stand and no-one would say a word.  ;) ;D

Excellent stuff Chris.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

Thats gotta be one of the lovliest Spits I've seen in a long time.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Pablo1965

There's always room for a new Spit, and if it is as beautiful as this, even more so.What a beauty!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on November 06, 2011, 03:55:27 AM
Looks good.  Was the Hal Far pattern better or worse than the store bought Vokes' one?

Like most things cobbled together it was actualy slightly more refined then the origional  :wacko:

Thanks gents
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2011, 04:11:48 AM
You could display that on the Spitfire SIG stand and no-one would say a word.  ;) ;D

Excellent stuff Chris.

Indeed you could and indeed it is - a very nice build Chris.  The new Airfix Ia,  I take it?
See y'all Saturday!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on November 07, 2011, 02:31:28 PM
The new Airfix Ia,  I take it?
See y'all Saturday!
;D ;D

Yup and a nice kit, also built the early Mk I from the same boxing, love those red/blue roundels

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Martin H

Well that will be two Malta spitfire I's on the stand. Ive done one as well. All be it with out the sand filter. And its carrying a pair of long range slipper tanks. Its in the markings of 222 sqn
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

One of your best, Chris, looks as nice as last years' P-51  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)