DH Comet C2R3 192 Sqn

Started by TallEng, November 06, 2011, 06:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Originally it was thought that Comet G-AMXE/XK663 was damaged beyond repair in a Hanger fire at RAF Watton in 1957. It was in fact rebuilt into the only Comet C2R3, by using spares obtained from the Nine Comet 3 airframes that were not completed when their construction was abandoned at Hatfield.  Ostensibly attached to the Met. Research Flt. at RAF Woodvale for research into upper air  atmospheric conditions for the Met office,  It was in fact used by 192 Sqn for Mapping ingress and egress routes for Britain's V Bombers and later the TSR2 into the Eastern Bloc and other areas of possible conflict. Due to the "sensitive" nature of these flights and the knowledge that some would involve intrusion into Politically sensitive airspace (by several hundred miles) the Comet C2R3 was fitted with a passive defence suite consisting of  'Yellow Barley' (a development of the 'Orange Putter' Tail warning radar fitted to the V force bombers) 'Indigo Bracket' (radar jamming system) and an early version of the TSR2's Chaff/flare dispensers (possibly referred to as 'Blue Mint') fitted into the rear of the Wing Pinion tanks. The Comets main sensor suite consisted of 'Red Setter' an experimental version of the Side Looking Radar that was slated for fitting to the V-Bomber's, Green Onion, an early Optical Line-scan device and 3 F.95 Cameras for accurate position plotting of the radar images recorded by the 'Red Setter' SLAR.  After the cancellation of the TSR2 program XK663 continued in sporadic use on unspecified duties until late 1969 when during a Major inspection  the wing spars were found to be suffering severe cracks (presumably caused by the extra stress imposed by the extended wing tips) The costs of rebuilding were considered too great for the use that XK663 could be put to afterwards, and she was quietly retired. Breaking up  and disposal of the Airframe later on was made more difficult due to the self destruct mechanisms built into and around the special equipment installed during conversion to C2R3 status.  The MOD hoping that if  the Comet should be shot down over a politically sensitive area, the (hopefully complete) destruction of any Military equipment would enable a diplomatic incident to be avoided/defused by claiming it was simply a civil airliner that had innocently strayed off its intended route. Any data plates being found in the wreckage would only contain the manufacturers construction Number and or its former Civil registration.

"Satelite picture" ;)

(More photo's from the station photographer at RAF Hiding-in-the-Hedges) ;D
Showing the SLAR "Cheek bulges"

And showing the Ventral fairing containing the Optical line-scanner and Cameras

Hope you enjoy!

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Rat

Gorgeous, and a fantastic idea!  :thumbsup: Is that the old Airfix kit? I'm having trouble with that one right now.  :banghead:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Terrific model, oh yes!  :cheers: :bow:

The extra span really looks the part, but then I would say that of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: The Rat on November 06, 2011, 07:12:12 AM
Gorgeous, and a fantastic idea!  :thumbsup: Is that the old Airfix kit? I'm having trouble with that one right now.  :banghead:

Yes its the old 144th scale Airfix Comet (Dan Air boxing)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Kerrillc

If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Thanks for all the kind comments :thumbsup:
(And using the bits left over from the Comet C2R3 I made a Comet 4D. Its in the awaiting a paint scheme idea stage)

Regards
Keith

tc2324

Now that I likey alot...  :thumbsup:

Love the scheme and it goes very well with our great british weather.....  ;D
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!