Junkers JU53A-1

Started by kitbasher, November 11, 2011, 03:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Junkers JU53A-1, Stab/KGzbV 2, Luftwaffe, Crete, May 1941
The Ju53 was a transport aircraft of similar construction to the Ju52, and used initially as personal VIP transports for high-ranking officers.  The A-1 was unarmed, however experience over Crete led to the development of the A-2 which featured a dorsal gunner position adapted from that used by the Ju52/3M.  It possessed excellent STOL capability and saw service throughout Europe until the end of the war.  A small number of captured JU53s saw limited post-war service with the Armée de l'Air in French Indochina.

Model built using a wrecked but built Airfix Ford Trimotor bought at a model show about 3 years ago for £1!  Engine mounts made from Matchbox Phantom recce pods, engines and cowlings from an Airfix Heyford Hampden.  Replacement nose from an Airfix Sea King radome, tail wheel is a Matchbox A-4 Skyhawk nose wheel, main wheels are FROG Shackleton nose main wheels. Undercarriage legs made from Airfix Puma rotor blades, supporting struts from aerofoil strut strip.  Propellers from the spares box (origin unknown EDIT: but they look German!). 

EDIT: decals from an ancient Airfix Ju88 that in the end was sold on minus decals.  Never built a Ju88.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

tigercat

TallEng

:thumbsup: Good job, It somehow reminds me of something Fokker would have produced.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Weaver

That's a great job - nice one! :thumbsup:

Good JMN fooler too: there were so many real aircraft of that style around that it fits right in.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Stargazer

This is AMAZING. Very Fokker-like in a way, I agree with TallEng. What really strikes me is I COULDN'T say what it was made of, which to me is the best sign of a successful whif... Congratulations!

Ed S

Great concept and well done. I'm sure you could fool a few "JMN's" with this one.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Pablo1965

I love this plane, It,s like the next step in the evolution of the Ford. Very awesome.  :thumbsup:  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Maverick

Very nicely done.  Could fool plenty out there.

Regards,

Mav

comrade harps

Whatever.

philp

Great build and has already been rightfully nominated for a Whiffie.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Daryl J.

Got me!  Well played, beautifully done.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: kitbasher on November 11, 2011, 03:23:42 AM

Model built using a wrecked but built Airfix Ford Trimotor bought at a model show about 3 years ago for £1!  Engine mounts made from Matchbox Phantom  recce pods, engines and cowlings from an Airfix Heyford.  Replacement nose from an Airfix Sea King radome, tail wheel is a Matchbox A-4 Skyhawk nose wheel, main wheels are FROG Shackleton nose wheels. Undercarriage legs made from Airfix Puma rotor blades, supporting struts from aerofoil strut strip.  Propellers from the spares box (origin unknown).

Truly impressive  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tanktastic43

Good job. Well done!  :thumbsup:

tt43.