Israeli A-10 Akraw (Scorpion)

Started by RPadavan2, November 15, 2011, 11:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPadavan2

Following the success of the A-6s, Israel lobbied the US to be allowed to purchase the A-10 to help deter the threat of armored forces being masses by the less than friendly neighbors on their boarders.  In 1989, the US Congress approved the sale and Israel started receiving the plane.  The Israeli Air Force named the plane the Akraw, or Scorpion. 

The model: 1/144th scale Revell A-10A
Paint: Model Masters and scheme based loosely off the scheme on the IDF F-4s
Decals: combination of kit supplies, DIY (the scorpions on the tail) and national insignia from a multi-scale sheet (I can not remember who I got them from)
Background:  Image downloaded from a Google search for "aircraft hangers" and size adjusted to an 8.5"x11" page

With background

Strike package with my Israeli A-6

Spey_Phantom

i like the look on this Hebrew Hog  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

rickshaw

Quote from: Nils on November 15, 2011, 12:48:07 PM
i like the look on this Hebrew Hog  :thumbsup:

Oy Vey!  Is it Kosher though?  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

mkhulu

Ma ze ! Balagan !!  ;D

:thumbsup:

Going nowhere slowly

Army of One

Awesome paint scheme n finish.....both kits look excellent together.....!!! What's next....an A7 from late 70's or early 80's....?? How about a Revell 1/144 AV8B II plus.....lovely kit....would look great I think given the same treatment.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

RPadavan2

Thank you all for the praise!  I thought I would ease up on the Israeli birds.  Just for a little while.  I want to try some other paint schemes and countries for a while, plus I ran out of ideas.  But I am liking the Revell AV-8B!  I have a couple of those sitting around so I could grab one for Israel.  I might try an Israeli Tornado (not sure which mark yet, I will have to see what I have handy).  Thinking about it, I might do the Harrier and Tornado at the same time.  But first things first, I need to clean up and make some room to show/store the finished models, and then get some of my other ideas out of my head on onto a built model.

Eddie M.

Very interesting subject. I really enjoy your paint work.  :mellow:
Look behind you!

Pablo1965

Army of One

Quote from: RPadavan2 on November 16, 2011, 05:19:25 PM
Thank you all for the praise!  I thought I would ease up on the Israeli birds.  Just for a little while.  I want to try some other paint schemes and countries for a while, plus I ran out of ideas.  But I am liking the Revell AV-8B!  I have a couple of those sitting around so I could grab one for Israel.  I might try an Israeli Tornado (not sure which mark yet, I will have to see what I have handy).  Thinking about it, I might do the Harrier and Tornado at the same time.  But first things first, I need to clean up and make some room to show/store the finished models, and then get some of my other ideas out of my head on onto a built model.

Yes.....yes.... :thumbsup:....you know it makes sense....do it....do it soon......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

RPadavan2

This is not the modeler you're looking for.  (waves hand in a subtle Jedi-like manner)

Currently I am working on a couple of MiG-17s, well 1 MiG-17 and a JJ-5.  Not going to be WHIFS, sticking to the Russian and Chinese models.  Over the weekend, I completed 2 MiG-15s, a North Korean MiG-15 and a Finnish MiG-15UTI.  I still have not cleaned up some shelf space for display yet.  So after I complete these latest MiGs, I will start on the clean up so I can have the room for the IDF AV-8B, and Tornado (once I dig the kit out with my room clean up).  I am hoping to have the MiGs done within the next couple of days and the Harrier and Tornado done before Christmas (when I have to "hide" my modeling projects and supplies for the onslaught of invading family for Christmas dinner.  Never fails, the family with the smallest house ends up hosting the family dinner).

Also in the planning stages, is a Royal Navy WHIF.  Just need to know the two tone colors used on their planes in the 60s and 70s.  Looks like either white or a light gray underside and a dark blue gray top.  Haven't quite figured out what the colors are exactly, so if anyone can tell me I would appreciate it!  I thought I had decals for a Royal Navy plane, but turns out I don't, so part of my time will be getting those decals made up.  Gives me a brief break from working on the physical models, provided I don't get distracted with the internet.

NARSES2

RN colours were Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky and then EDSG over white in the 60/70's. It was probably more complicated then that in real life but thats whay I've always worked on
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RPadavan2

Thank you NARSES2!  I had already pulled out my Model Master's Dark Sea Gray and RAF Ocean Gray.  But switching over to white will not be a problem since I have not started yet.

My next question is what color(s) were used on RN fighters at the end of the fixed winged force?