Lockheed P-80A for the U.S. Navy (1945)

Started by jzichek, November 15, 2011, 10:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzichek

Check out this article at RetroMechanix.com on a Lockheed P-80A Shooting Star procured by the U.S. Navy in 1945:

The aircraft received several modifications for carrier use, including the addition of an arresting hook, catapult hooks and holdback. The accompanying image gallery features 21 high resolution photos of this rare P-80 variant, including close-ups of the arresting gear. Ideal for modelers or enthusiasts of historic naval aviation!

-Jared

Mossie

Nice find!  I know the USN operated a fair amount of TV-1's to get their pilots up to speed before theire own jets came on line, but a Korean FV-1 in 80 in USN Glossy Sea Blue & folded wings would look the part.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jzichek

We've posted a follow-up article on the early navalized Lockheed P-80A at RetroMechanix.com:

Based on material provided by naval aviation historian Tommy Thomason, the article features 6 photos of the aircraft under evaluation at NAS Patuxent River, Maryland in 1946. The high resolution photos provide close-up views of both the bridle and pendant configurations which were tested for catapult launch of the aircraft.

-Jared

NARSES2

I am starting to see an overall gloss blue one  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Maybe a RN version as an interim due to the dealy with the Attacker & Sea Hawk?  Can't have been worse than the Attacker!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

I'm already thinking of one in EDSG/Sky with P markings.  Means I can use that Airfix one that's been sitting around for a while. 

Wonder what happened to the wreck of the one I did in 1990?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jzichek

The third installment in our unplanned series on an early navalized Lockheed P-80A is up at RetroMechanix.com:

The article presents a re-discovered U.S. Naval Air Test Center (NATC) report dating from June 23, 1947 on flight tests of the Shooting Star as an overload fighter with wing tip auxiliary fuel tanks installed. The accompanying image gallery reproduces the entire report, including several rare photos of the aircraft with wing tip tanks attached.

-Jared

Scooterman

zenrat

Currently reading Chasing the Demon by Dan Hampton which contains mention of Project Extraversion.  This was testing four YP-80s in Europe during the dying days of WW2.
Two in the UK and two in Italy.
https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/project-extraversion-p-80-shooting-stars-in-world-war-ii/
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The USN actually operated the P/F-80 (roundabout fifty) under the designation "TO-1", allocated to VF-52, but none was carrier-capable - they were rather used as trainers until naval jet fighters became available.

An all-blue one should look pretty, though.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 25, 2020, 03:55:45 AM

Currently reading Chasing the Demon by Dan Hampton which contains mention of Project Extraversion.  This was testing four YP-80s in Europe during the dying days of WW2.
Two in the UK and two in Italy.
https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/project-extraversion-p-80-shooting-stars-in-world-war-ii/

Veeeeery interesting.  :thumbsup:

I knew that they'd sent two P-80s to Italy, but not about the UK ones.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 25, 2020, 04:17:26 AM
An all-blue one should look pretty, though.  :thumbsup:

Totally agree with you, mate!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Personally, I'd also add a raised cockpit for a better field of view. Hmmm... I have an Airfix P-80 somewhere in the stash... Too bad that I already started another GB project!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 25, 2020, 05:57:42 AM

Too bad that I already started another GB project!

Since when has that slowed you down?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit