1/48th BAC Eagle GR1, 3 squadron, RAF circa 1970.......Updated photo's

Started by General Melchet, November 16, 2011, 05:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Melchet

Finally finished for Telford this is my rendition of the TSR 2 as the BAC Eagle GR1 aircraft as used by 3 squadron. Those of you who have followed the build will recall that way back in the mists of time I decided to have a go at fixing the shape issues with the forward fuselage that to me totally ruined the look of the model and to be honest I was more than tempted to build the Dynavector vac as I wanted a more accurate model. I then sat down and with help from a few guys on the R and D sig decided to tackle the Airfix kit head on and hack the thing to bits to get the shape right from the off. It was a lot more work than I thought and involved a lot of head scratching and research but thanks to several folks including Damien Burke, Chris Gibson and Chris Tonks for his brilliant drawings the model slowly took form. The most difficult areas being the intakes and crazy oversized 'bulge' on the top of the mid section, as well as the shock cones and louvres along the topside.  .
Many resin and vac add ons were used here including Cammet, CMK and Model Alliance decals as well as good old Milliput and Evergreen Plasticard. If anyones interested I've been asked by  a certain manufacturer if I would make up some masters of the fuselage mods and produce them as a large conversion set for retail. She's been finished in markings for XV926 of 3 squadron circa 1970 armed with Blue Water tactical nuclear missiles and a pair of Martel anti radiation weapons.
Since Telford I've added a few mods which I was able to blag and will update the photos soon,

Anyhoo enough waffle, here's the finished article,  just a few quick shots, more to follow,

Hope you think it was all worth the effort,

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchie...

If you are coming to Telford It will along with me be parked on the Research & Development table so come along and have a chat, (we hope to have Chris Gibson and Damien Burke with us so all things TSR 2 will be the flavour of the day)

Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

Cobra

Too Cool & Extremely Well Done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: Keep up the Great Work! :cheers: Dan

TsrJoe

stunning modelling, well worth the effort too in fixing the kits problems, looks really sharp  :bow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Ian the Kiwi Herder

When I saw it on the table... I just 'knew' it was yours, Andy. Not too many folks may notice, but the slight tonal variations in the painting of the missiles is... (takes very deep breath)... a masterstroke. There I've said it !!

Outstanding work, friend  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

General Melchet

Thanks guys, :thumbsup: your comments are very much appreciated and makes the whole thing worthwhile.The tables received a great deal of attention and positive comments during the show and I  made some converts to the 'whif' side. I've just added a few bits that I managed to blag at the show including the Wolfpack PE main wheel detail which makes a huge difference, (piccies soon). As this is the spiritual home of projects like this it really means a lot to me that you lot like it. Great to catch up with you all again at the show, here's to the next one. Next up F-111K Merlin and then onto a 1/48th scratchbuilt Fairey Delta 3....

(Thanks Ian...good luck mate 'down under and to the right a bit'! :cheers:).

Cheers,

Andy...

Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

redstar72

Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

sideshowbob9

Beautiful work! Now where is that knitting smiley?

tanktastic43

Weaver

Outstanding piece of work.... :bow: :bow: :bow:

The fact that you've put so much effort into making this an accurate whiff is one of the best repostes yet to critics of whiffery.. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

Awesome build......really awesome....!!!! The more n more I see of these the more I wanna add one (1/72) to the stash.....can honestly say I've never been interested in getting one....but seeing the examples on here,especially this one....I may change my mind.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Steel Penguin

looks lovely, and realy was impressive at telford. as an aside any idea where i could get a pair of the blue waters? as they seem to have vanished in 1:48th.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Gondor

Fantastic quality build and defiantly worth all the pain you went through to produce it. Defiantly going to "borrow" a few ideas or possibly wait for the correction set to show up before I tackle my kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pablo1965

Wow, It have the beauty of a "E type". Nice paint work,  awesome scheme, ilove it.  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: