Inflight refueling probes

Started by chrisonord, November 16, 2011, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Is there anyone out there in resin white metal replacement land that does these in 1/72nd scale.  I want to put one on each of my F-16's seen as they will be US Navy/Marines a/c.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Aeroclub do a set of probes IIRC, what style are you looking for ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Hya Robert,
I am looking at something I can use as a retro fitted system that will go on the forward fuselage of the F-16, and be a non retractable one, something similar to that used on the A-6 Intruder could work also, or the ones fitted to the OA-4M Skyhawks could be quite useful too as I could stick them along the forward fusalage.
Cheers again Robert.
Chris. 

PR19_Kit

I've used a few of the Aeroclub ones that Robert mentioned and they're very good. You can bend them to shape if need be, which I did with the one on the nose of the PR19, and they don't break anywhere as often as plastic ones!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

The fine folks at Quickboost may also have what you're looking for.

F-105 IFR probe with well

A-4 Skyhawk bent IFR probe

A-4 Skyhawk straight IFR probe

Alternatively, getting an Italeri/ESCI F-5A might be an idea. Includes a cool bolt-on IFR probe that could look just like what you're after. As a plus, you'll get a nice F-5A Tiger that, fitted out with Python 4s, will be just the ticket either for the Cartel or Honduran government forces.  :thumbsup:

Looks like this:

The Italeri/ESCI F-100 kit has both a straight and a bent probe.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

Cheers for the info guys,
I had already replied to this but it had vanished  :unsure:
I think the Bent skyhawk ifr probe looks to be the nearest as to what I need and alot more easy to obtain than the aeroclub stuff too. I do like the one on the F-5 though, looks proper retro fitted that one.
Cheers,
Chris

Old Wombat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 16, 2011, 06:00:43 PMLooks like this:

Who makes that kit? The fit's pretty damned poor! Just LOOK at the gap between the wing root & the fuselage! Disgraceful! :angry:

:blink: ... ;) ... ;D ... :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Your comment reminds me of the Bf109G which is on display at the Australian War Memorial.  It has massive gaps all over the airframe where panels are removable.  In particular, the engine access panel on top of the fuselage has gaps big enough to get your fingers into!

If you presented a model like that though, you'd be laughed out of the hobby!   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scooterman

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 16, 2011, 06:00:43 PM
The fine folks at Quickboost may also have what you're looking for.

F-105 IFR probe with well

Might be handy for F-111K installations!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 16, 2011, 07:14:59 PM
Who makes that kit? The fit's pretty damned poor! Just LOOK at the gap between the wing root & the fuselage! Disgraceful! :angry:

The builder obviously needs to brush up on their PSR techniques too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Can't find a pic but......there was a system that the F16 used....a drop tank fitted with a retractable probe....look into that......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Geoff

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2011, 12:55:44 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on November 16, 2011, 07:14:59 PM

The builder obviously needs to brush up on their PSR techniques too!

I once spent a week trying to get a spine to fit a Fujimi Mig-21. Went to IATA a few weeks latter and had a Slovak Mig-21 park up 20 foot from me. Dam thing had a gap you could put your hand in between the spine and fuselage.

chrisonord

The C.A.R.T.S system looks a bit too awkward for me to adopt on my F-16's, only 2 of them have the conformal tanks. The skyhawk probes look like they could be the way forward.
Chris.

pyro-manic

I used a French fixed probe (from a Mirage F1) on my recent F-16 build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyro-manic/6165666908/ Looks the part IMO. If you want it, I have the probe from a Buccaneer I won't be using, and I've got a couple of other possibles as well (Skyhawks, Lightnings - will have to dig the kits out to look).
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Old Wombat

Both the ARTS & CARTS systems look overly complicated, to me, & I have to wonder about the reduction in actual fuel carrying capacity using this system.

I'd be inclined to go with a fixed probe or, preferrably, one of the externally mounted fold-out versions.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est