Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, New York City

Started by philp, November 17, 2011, 12:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Just got back from a Summit for work in the Big Apple.  Flew out Saturday so I would have a little time to see some of the sites.

One stop was the Intrepid Museum which consists of the USS Intrepid (with a bunch of planes, etc on it), the USS Growler submarine and a Concorde.

Here are a few of the pics.

And a link to the rest of the album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115549746726410540917/IntrepidSeaAirSpaceMuseumNewYorkCityNY
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Green with envy here! I've always wanted to do that Museum but doubt I ever will now.

Is G-BOAD still exhibited on a barge alongside the Intrepid or is she ashore since the big re-furbishment there?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

She was put back on the pier after the Intrepid came back.

However, have heard some concerns where she will go when the museum gets the Space Shuttle Enterprise as sounds like it will take the place the Concorde occupies now.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that Phil, she always looked a bit precarious on the barge!

I wonder where she'd go if they did get the Enterprise there? She still belongs to BA, as do all the Brit Concordes so they may reclaim her. 'AD is my fave Concorde as she carried the asymmetric Singapore Airlines/BA scheme for a while and I've modelled her like that.

Probably Tophe's fave too......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Went there at Easter, to be honest I was a little disapointed particularly with the below decks exhibits. It was pouring that day as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

nice pics,

ive seen the museum on TV a few times (National Treasure, CSI:NY,...), i would love to go to NYC and visit that ship someday  :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

chrisonord

Absolutely brilliant pictures there Phil  :thumbsup:
If I had to go to New York for one reason, going there would be it.
Cheers,
chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

jorel62

anthonyp

Nice visit to the museum.  Thanks for the pics!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

dragon

Haven't been to that one yet.
Have been to the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia (USS Olympia and a GUPPY-Class sub can be found there), Pearl Harbor, and USS Midway museum in San Diego.
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

I have also been on the USS Texas in Houston, USS Alabama and USS Drum in Mobile and the USS Cassin Young in Boston but the Intrepid is the only Carrier I have visited.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

scooter

I've been to the Intrepid quite a few times, both the Ling (still WWII fitout) and Torsk (1950s fitout), the Alabama, the Hornet when she just opened up as a museum in Alameda, and HMS Belfast.  Intrepid always managed to impress me, and one of these days I'll eventually visit the most dangerous city in NJ and the USS New Jersey.

And if she were open to the public, I'd go visit SS United States also...but she's not.  <_<
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

dragon

Quote from: scooter on November 24, 2011, 10:45:18 PM
I've been to the Intrepid quite a few times, both the Ling (still WWII fitout) and Torsk (1950s fitout), the Alabama, the Hornet when she just opened up as a museum in Alameda, and HMS Belfast.  Intrepid always managed to impress me, and one of these days I'll eventually visit the most dangerous city in NJ and the USS New Jersey.

And if she were open to the public, I'd go visit SS United States also...but she's not.  <_<
Actually for the USS New Jersey, you could stay in Philadelphia.  It is within eyesight of the USS Olympia (i.e across the river).  You know, convince the family to seek out where the Declaration of Independence was signed, etc.  If the spouse is a foodie- City Tavern and Reading Terminal Market.  Just do it in the spring, summer, or fall- it is miserable there in the winter. 
I have yet to see the Hornet, and I am ashamed to say, that I live not too far away from there.  Ditto for the USS Pampanito (Balao-Class submarine).
Another interesting ship to visit is the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge, LA particularly during the summer.  As I understand it, the vessel is on some kind of cradle such that when the Mississippi River goes to its lowest level, the Destroyer just lays on the river bed until the water level rises again.  Meantime, visitors can see what the hull looks like under the waterline at that time.
Another place to visit is Pensacola, FL.  NAS Pensacola has a great Naval Aviation Museum.  Pensacola itself also has nice beaches and if you scuba, there is the USS Oriskany....Don't forget to visit Bobe's Hobbyshop.
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

PR19_Kit

When I was visiting our plant in Raleigh NC some years ago I took a weekend trip to the coast and visited the USS North Carolina. After having been aboard HMS Belfast a few time the North Carolina was IMMENSE! The length of the foredeck was seriously impressive and the gun turret that we could enter was positively HUGE! Quite what it must have been like being one of the crew in there defies imagination.

I got off thinking I'd been shrunk down to 1/4 scale!

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: dragon on November 24, 2011, 11:46:54 PM
Quote from: scooter on November 24, 2011, 10:45:18 PM

Actually for the USS New Jersey, you could stay in Philadelphia.  It is within eyesight of the USS Olympia (i.e across the river). 

I live right down the Expressway, outside Atlantic City, so it can be a day trip for me.  But since I work like 6 days a week...  :banghead:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng