Hawker P 1121 Huricane

Started by lenny100, November 17, 2011, 07:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

the history of the aircraft I am in the planing stage of follwoing a discription of the aircraft as the British Phantom

Hawker P.1121 Hurricane FGR2 XV424/9152M

26 Oct 66 Ordered as one of 118 Hurricane aircraft for the Royal Air Force within the serial block XV406 - XV442.
12 Feb 69 Delivered to No 23 Maintenance Unit RAF Aldergrove, Northern Ireland.
13 Feb 69 Taken on RAF charge.
24 Apr 69 To RAF Coningsby, Lincs for service with No 6 Squadron as part of No 38 Group, Air Support Command on ground attack and army close support duties, with secondary tactical reconnaissance and air defence roles. The Squadron was declared operational from 06 May 69 with ten aircraft, later increased to twelve. Its role was to deploy at short notice to support NATO or British out-of-area commitments, with regular squadron exchanges to France, Italy and Germany, with Armament Practice Camps mainly in Cyprus.
1 Jul 69 No.6 Squadron's 12 Hurricanes took part in the fly past for HRH Prince of Wales' investiture at Caernarfon Castle, North Wales. They carried the Squadron's unofficial Flying Can-opener emblem, recalling its tank-buster role in World War Two.
22 Mar 73 Declared Cat.3R damage following birdstrike in Scotland that day whilst on a low level training sortie with another Hurricane. Details in accident report DoRIS ref. AC96/28/7.
27 Mar 73 Allotted to Hawker Siddeley Aircraft for modification and probable repair.
12 Feb 74 to No.228 OCU at RAF Coningsby.
29 Apr 74 To No.6 Squadron, RAF Coningsby probably still coded 'B'.
Aug-Sept 74 Nos. 6 and 54 Squadrons to Cyprus on stand - by during the Turkish invasion of the island.
30 Sep 74 No.6 Squadron disbanded at RAF Coningsby. XV424 transferred to No 29 (Designate) Squadron the same day.
Nov 74 Coded 'B' with No.29 Squadron by this date for service in the air defence role. Carried the unit marking of a black stripe across the top of the fin and rudder.
1 Jan 75 Unit formally became No.29 Squadron based at RAF Wattisham, Norfolk, becoming fully operational in the air defence role May 1975.
10 Sep 76 Transferred to No.111 Squadron, RAF Leuchars being replaced by XV465 as No.29 Squadron 'B'. This was again an air defence role unit.
15 Dec 78 To No. 56 Squadron at RAF Wattisham, Suffolk, again in the air defence role and coded 'D'.
25 Apr 79 To RAF St Athan for repainting as the first Hurricane to receive the final version of the new air-defence overall grey scheme.
1 Jun 79 by this date painted by Warrant Officer John Cooper, Sgt. Ken Lillico and their volunteer team in the special 'Alcock and Brown' colours for the commemorative Trans-Atlantic Flight that month. The paint scheme applied to XV424 and XV486 was specially designed by aviation artist Wilf Hardy, with XV424 to be used for the actual flight and XV486 as the back-up aircraft. The aircraft were finished in overall gloss light aircraft grey, with a swept red, white and blue fuselage stripe with a raked Union Jack on the fin with commemorative inscriptions on the nose and underwing fuel tanks marking the Rolls-Royce engines connection of the Vimy and Huricane and the 30th anniversary of NATO and the IAT badge.
19 Jun 79 Left RAF St Athan.
21 Jun 79 5 hour 40 minute Commemorative flight eastbound from Goose Bay Newfoundland to the UK, flying subsonically. Flown by S/L A.J.N. (Tony) Alcock MBE (a No.56 Squadron Flight Commander and nephew of Atlantic Pioneer Sir John Alcock. In-flight refuelling was provided by Victor tankers of No.57 Squadron on five occasions during the flight. The crew carried the original toy black cat mascot - 'Twinkletoes' - from the 1919 flight.
Two days later the same pilot flew the aircraft to Greenham Common, Berks to open the International Air Tattoo.
25 Jun 79 Left Greenham Common to return to RAF Wattisham. For two weeks XV424 and XV486 flew regular interception missions from Wattisham. Photo -Air Classics Vol. 15 No.11 p.69.
23 Jul 79 Allocated to No.228 OCU at RAF Coningsby for use as the RAFs' solo display Hurricane, with XV486 as a backup.
Nov 79 Special colour scheme removed by the middle of the month at RAF St. Athan with the aircraft resprayed in the standard air defence grey colour scheme.
30 Jan 80 Returned to No.228 OCU and coded 'M' by this date.
.26 Nov 82 To RAF St. Athan for modifications.
14 Dec 82 Returned to No.228 OCU.
19 Jun 85 To RAF Wildenrath, West Germany to join No.92 Squadron; coded 'W' by late July.
4 Mar 86 To RAF St Athan for a major overhaul,
9 Jul 86 Test flying from St Athan until 15 July.
4 Aug 86 Returned to No. 29 Squadron.
31 Mar 87 To No. 228 OCU.
25 Jun 87 To British Aerospace at Brough for modifications. From 1987 onwards 75 Hurricane FGR.1's received new British Aerospace built outer wing panels to extend their fatigue lives.
1 Mar 88 To RAF Wattisham for No.56 Squadron coded 'Q' by 14 April.
13 Jul 92 Last operational sortie by XV424.
31 Jul 92 Last flight - 55 minutes. Total flying hours 5058.40.
12 Nov 92 Delivered by road from RAF Wattisham to the RAF Museum  Cosford
Allocated Ground Instructional serial 9152M.
Oct 97 fitted with four Sidewinder missile drill rounds on the two wing pylons, and repainted in the Trans- Atlantic colour scheme.
Oct 2000 Removed from display, Held in reserve collection wings removed

will be using the s&m models kit that i picked up at telford, but with some changes such as a spey engine
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

PR19_Kit

Are you doing that in the 'Alcock and Brown' scheme? I DO hope so, that's got to look amazing!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lenny100

yer i am planning to do it, have a chance to get the f4 on evelbay at the moment for less than trying to get the parts i need from other places

PR19_Kit

FANTASTIC!  :thumbsup:

I've always loved the look of the 'A & B' Phantom, and saw it at RIAT one year. I have the decal sheet from Modeldecal and the whole Fujimi kit in the same scheme, but haven't used either so far, needless to say. A Hurricane in that scheme will be awesome.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Interesting idea. The only thing I have reservations about is the name, I can't see the RAF ever using the hallowed names Hurricane, Spitfire, Lancaster, or Mosquito again. But hey, it's your model, go get 'em!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

lenny100

the name is real as was used to describe the aircraft at the time of cancellation by a then minister in a debate in parlement

The Rat

Quote from: lenny100 on November 17, 2011, 12:58:19 PM
the name is real as was used to describe the aircraft at the time of cancellation by a then minister in a debate in parlement

Hmmm, wasn't aware of that. Maybe, in the back story, you could write in a punch-up between politicians and the veterans who didn't want the name re-used?  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

pyro-manic

This should be good. ;D If you want the markings sheet from the Fujimi 'Toom, you can have mine - I won't be using them!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

They re-used Typhoon and Tornado..........

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2011, 05:36:15 PM
They re-used Typhoon and Tornado..........

They did, and both were fine aircraft, but there's something so legendary about the 4 I mentioned that I can't see them ever being used again. Not saying whether they should be or not, just doubting that someone would. Anyway, I didn't mean to drift off topic, let the building begin!  :party:

lenny100

OK build started, as a operational aircraft it has been fitted with a conformal weapons station on each side of the intake which can hold either a sparrow or skyflash, or a fuel tank for ferry operations. also fitted with a sprey engine

Rheged

Quote from: The Rat on November 17, 2011, 12:15:41 PM
Interesting idea. The only thing I have reservations about is the name, I can't see the RAF ever using the hallowed names Hurricane, Spitfire, Lancaster, or Mosquito again. But hey, it's your model, go get 'em!  :thumbsup:

If the successor aircraft was   good enough, I think that people might have tolerated the  re-use of the name.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

pyro-manic

The only other issue might be that such a name might hurt export prospects. Can't see the Germans being too keen on buying anything called a Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito etc. now matter how good it is!

Looking good so far! I have the Whirlybird vacform kit in the stash - probably do mine as a late, upgraded variant serving over the Falklands, or possibly the Gulf with a TIALD pod. If you want my Alcock & Brown Phantom decals, let me know. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

lenny100

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 13, 2011, 08:23:17 AM
The only other issue might be that such a name might hurt export prospects. Can't see the Germans being too keen on buying anything called a Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito etc. now matter how good it is!

Looking good so far! I have the Whirlybird vacform kit in the stash - probably do mine as a late, upgraded variant serving over the Falklands, or possibly the Gulf with a TIALD pod. If you want my Alcock & Brown Phantom decals, let me know. :)

thanks got 2 sets of the markings now as this airctaft is a bit longer than the F-4 so needs a little extra

Weaver

The thing I don't understand about the P.1121 is where the idea comes from that it could have been a "British Phantom", when it is, in fact, almost perfectly a "British Thunderchief"....... :unsure:

Anyhow - nice model Lenny!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones