Amphibious earth moving plant

Started by rickshaw, November 17, 2011, 08:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Must admit saw some long ones in Canada when we were goning from Banft to Vancouver. As we had to wait for them to pass our passenger train we to played the count the cars game. It's a bugger when you forget where you got up to out of sheer boredom  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Clayton engineering do the Talus range of amphibious tractors.  They're used for launching boats rather than earth moving (the RNLI is the main customer) but it's not difficult to imagine them fitted with buckets & such.

The Talus MB-764 is a small wheeled tractor based on the Ford County 754
http://www.claytonengineering.co.uk/equipmentitem/4d78e5751bf16/Talus-MB764

The Talus MB-H is a purpose built (I think) tracked vehicle for launching heavier lifeboats
http://www.claytonengineering.co.uk/equipmentitem/4d78d64aeeeb8/Talus-MBH

The Talus MB-4H is a purpose built larger wheeled tractor
http://www.claytonengineering.co.uk/equipmentitem/4d78e22f702ba/Talus-MB4H

Snapped a MB-4H at RNLI Flamborough a few years back.  What's not obvious in the pic is that it's articulated in the middle.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Which model of Talus is that one on the left Mossie  :unsure:  :lol:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2011, 06:40:50 AM
Must admit saw some long ones in Canada when we were goning from Banft to Vancouver. As we had to wait for them to pass our passenger train we to played the count the cars game. It's a bugger when you forget where you got up to out of sheer boredom  :banghead:

When they go through the mountains, they are split into two separate trains from the single ones that come across the Prairies
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

Quote from: chrisonord on November 22, 2011, 08:02:00 AM
Chris.

It looks like the classic "Little grey Fergie"  to me. I learned to drive one of those at the age of 12 and I've had a soft spot for them since..........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

My late friend Andy, loved tractors too, he wore a red massey furgusson hat everywhere, his wife got a little grey massey furgusson tractor on a trailer as part of his funeral convoy, along with 0ver 300 motorcycles and riders.
chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 22, 2011, 08:36:21 AM
Chris.

It looks like the classic "Little grey Fergie"  to me. I learned to drive one of those at the age of 12 and I've had a soft spot for them since..........

As kitted by Airfix too, their very first kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: Mossie on November 22, 2011, 07:51:05 AM
Clayton engineering do the Talus range of amphibious tractors.

oh, nice.

In the same vein, the Dutch sea rescue organisation uses these:

A Caterpillar Challenger tracked vehicle modified for seaside duty.

rickshaw

I always thought that British lifeboats got launched down ramps out of sheds at the end of piers.  Thats how they are always shown in BBC drama shows!  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on November 22, 2011, 03:59:49 PM
I always thought that British lifeboats got launched down ramps out of sheds at the end of piers.  Thats how they are always shown in BBC drama shows!  ;D

That's 'cos the shows are scripted by people who only go to seaside towns with piers.  ;D

There's quite a few places where they launch them across the beach though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

There are a handful of slipway launches left, but I think there has generally been a move by the RNLI to remove them.  Not sure why, but I'd guess maintainance is the reason.  The above lifeboat used to launch from a slipway on the North Landing of Flamborough Head, that was moved to the current site at South Landing in the early nineties.  Part of the reason was the change to an inshore lifeboat when the old Oakely class all weather boat was retired.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 22, 2011, 08:20:37 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2011, 06:40:50 AM

When they go through the mountains, they are split into two separate trains from the single ones that come across the Prairies

"bloody 'ell" :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 22, 2011, 09:21:39 AM
Quote from: Rheged on November 22, 2011, 08:36:21 AM
Chris.

As kitted by Airfix too, their very first kit.

Could be. A good handfull of these vintage tractors still exist locally for launching small boats, old Fergusons, Fords & the odd David Brown.  My Dad had a little boat we used to use for fishing in the summer months, kept at a compound in a holiday camp near Bridlington.  Tractor was the only way of getting the boats down the ramp built into the cliff.  They were ancient in the eighties & I believe one or two of them are still going there.

RLBH

Slipway launch is well suited to launches on rocky shorelines, but apart from maintenance is somewhat dangerous - I'm sure it's obvious that the lifeboat meeting the water at the end of the ramp can be a rather rough experience especially in foul weather. The long-range all-weather lifeboats (Severns and Trents) don't need launching at all, as they're kept afloat.

There's actually one lifeboat station somewhere in Wales that's in the middle of the town, which is (IIRC) at the base of a peninsula with coastline either side. In the event of a launch, the lifeboat is dragged through the town by a tractor to the side where it's required to be launched. The requirement to get around some of the corners is one of the limiting factors on the size of the new Shannon class.

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader