RL V-Bomber Whifs?!?!?!

Started by MilitaryAircraft101, November 17, 2011, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on November 27, 2011, 01:39:36 PM
The original B-52I "Old Dog" IIRC still had 8 TF-33s in Flight of the Old DogFatal Terrain had the 4 CF-6s

Roger that Scooter, if there aren't any pictures I lose track quickly......  ;D

Why didn't anyone ever do any of that series as a film? They'd have been really action packed, evenb if they would have put a lot of noses in Washington DC out of joint.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 27, 2011, 04:23:25 PM
Quote from: scooter on November 27, 2011, 01:39:36 PM
The original B-52I "Old Dog" IIRC still had 8 TF-33s in Flight of the Old DogFatal Terrain had the 4 CF-6s

Roger that Scooter, if there aren't any pictures I lose track quickly......  ;D

Why didn't anyone ever do any of that series as a film? They'd have been really action packed, evenb if they would have put a lot of noses in Washington DC out of joint.  ;D

No idea Kit.  Maybe the PTB in Hollywood didn't feel it would be...a blockbuster.  As I recall it *was* turned into a PC game back in the early-mid 90s by 360 Software.  Not exactly a real winner of a game either.  Too complex, in that there was no AI support for any of the other crew stations, I could never get past the part where the crew simulated crashing into the Pacific off Seattle...  :banghead: :banghead:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

albeback

Quote from: ChrisF on November 27, 2011, 09:56:54 AM
I like it !!  ;D  "old dog" nose art i take it ?  :)

The nose art was "Seek and Destroy" - actually belongs to a  B-1B Lancer  (from Two Bobs sheet TB72085) but, this is Whifworld!! ;D The engines are CFM-56. 4 of which were salvaged from the wreck of of my KC-135R. The other pair were kindly donated by a friend. Sadly, "Seek and Destroy" is having to undergo a rebuild - having lost an argument with a clumsy S O B (me!!) and his vacuum cleaner!!  (caught the wingtip with the hose & pulled it off its shelf!!) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Broke one of the wings & both tailplanes off!!

I've decided to repaint it as well but, I'll be using another piece of B-1B nose art.

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

ChrisF

I look forward to seein it finished .... Again....  ;D

albeback

Quote from: ChrisF on November 28, 2011, 03:24:37 AM
I look forward to seein it finished .... Again....  ;D

Be happy to post pics when it's done. Could be a while. I'm code naming the rebuild Project Bah Humbug! ;D - I hate christmas so, no prizes for guessing what I'll be spending time on!! ;D ;D
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

MAD

I always loved the idea of a pure flying-wing derivative of the Vulcan! Doing away with the forward fuselage all together, and moving the cockpit into the wing itself!
Lighter and more aerodynamic than the actual Vulcan, I wonder if this would make up for the fuel lost due to the cockpit occupying this space?

M.A.D

PR19_Kit

You could end up with a CoG problem if you do that. And where would the socking great radar set go. not to mention the nose-wheel? All of those factors would need the bomb-bay to be shorter, possibly making the CoG problem even worse.

[/JMN mode]  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RussC

Quote from: MAD on November 29, 2011, 02:11:07 AM
I always loved the idea of a pure flying-wing derivative of the Vulcan! Doing away with the forward fuselage all together, and moving the cockpit into the wing itself!
Lighter and more aerodynamic than the actual Vulcan, I wonder if this would make up for the fuel lost due to the cockpit occupying this space?

M.A.D

No problem. Build an extension onto each wing inboard root so you increase the total span about 20 feet (scale) this extra volume should compensate for the lost nose. Go with shorter but side by side bomb bays, or mount the Blue Steel on the centerline like normal. Put the radome up front and find a good spot for the bomb aimers window. The extension can be made by using styrene sheet flush glued atop the normal wing surface, overlapping about 1/2" for strength and a good bond. Then cap it off with a flush styrene bulkhead. Do same for other wing and line them up and butt-join at the bulkheads. I would use a Tomcat or other curvy cockpit section, maybe even one scraped from a Flanker. Another might be to give the cockpit a faired into the wing profile with square panels, like a flattened version of the Victor's office.

While it might make it look more like a copy of the Northrop's it could be cool to use the tail cone of the vulcan even if the nose is gone.

Needs a memorable color scheme. The anti-flash white undersides but high gloss PRU blue on top maybe, or all black upper...something angry looking.

I wouldn't call it JMN mode Kit, just a bit of practicality never hurts.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Captain Canada

Awesome link.....thanks ! I'm always looking for stuff I can print off and read *ahem* at work !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?