A few weeks ago I had this mad idea......

Started by albeback, November 18, 2011, 02:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

....... about a sort of super extended , tandem winged VC-10!! :blink: :blink:
Well, just to show I wasn't joking - here it is!. Not quite finished. Paintwork needs tidying up and, a coat of matt varnish but, to all intents and purposes, it's finished!
I can't be bothered concocting a background story so, I'll just leave to others to comment/advise/suggest/denigrate/laugh at as they think fit! ;D I definitely did NOT want another boring lo-vis grey finish so, I went retro with the camouflage!!

Doubtless I will have put many JMN noses out of joint with this one!! ;D

For the record, I used Xtracrylix XA1002 RAF Dark Earth/ Xtracrylix XA1009 RAF Mid Stone for the camouflage. All painting was done the proper, old fashioned way - with a paintbrush!! ;D.  I don't own an airbrush. No masking was involved in the demarcation between the Stone/Earth pattern. The Dark Earth pattern was drawn freehand with a soft pencil on the model & then painted with a flat 4mm brush.

Will be happy to answer any questions

Allan
IMG]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g362/albeback52/009-4-1.jpg[/IMG]

Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

JayBee

INTERESTING.  :blink:

Do I detect over wing engine pods on the front wings,

something extending from the TE of the rear wing,

and

Brown Bomber camoflage?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

albeback

Quote from: JayBee on November 18, 2011, 02:20:23 AM
INTERESTING.  :blink:

Do I detect over wing engine pods on the front wings,

something extending from the TE of the rear wing,

and

Brown Bomber camoflage?

Your eyes do not decieve you Sir!
These colours were applied to RAF transports in the 60s & early 70s. I rather like the finish. Much nicer than these boring lo visibility greys!

PR19_Kit

Now that really IS off the wall!  :thumbsup:

To be truly in the 60s 'Brown Bomber' scheme it needs a white patch over the cockpit though, like this :-

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2011, 03:29:05 AM
Now that really IS off the wall!  :thumbsup:

To be truly in the 60s 'Brown Bomber' scheme it needs a white patch over the cockpit though, like this :-

Not forgotten!
I intend to use white decal sheet to provide the patch on the cockpit roof!

Aircav

That would look great in any colour scheme, Gerry Anderson would be proud of you.  :thumbsup: :wub: :wub:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

RussC

Quote from: albeback on November 18, 2011, 02:16:46 AM
Well, just to show I wasn't joking - here it is!. Not quite finished. Paintwork needs tidying up and, a coat of matt varnish but, to all intents and purposes, it's finished!
I can't be bothered concocting a background story so, I'll just leave to others to comment/advise/suggest/denigrate/laugh at as they think fit! ;D I definitely did NOT want another boring lo-vis grey finish so, I went retro with the camouflage!!

For the record, I used Xtracrylix XA1002 RAF Dark Earth/ Xtracrylix XA1009 RAF Mid Stone for the camouflage. All painting was done the proper, old fashioned way - with a paintbrush!! ;D.  I don't own an airbrush. No masking was involved in the demarcation between the Stone/Earth pattern. The Dark Earth pattern was drawn freehand with a soft pencil on the model & then painted with a flat 4mm brush.

Allan

The noses out off joint is a desired consequence. We can probably never generate enough ire to dislodge the rectal stick though.... :lol:

I like this design, and second the G. Anderson comment. I might have added a long wingtip (or 90 percent of the way to the wingtip) fuel tank joining the front and rear wings, am a turbulence worrier about those separate wingtips twisting the CG.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

albeback

Quote from: RussC on November 18, 2011, 05:36:21 AM
Quote from: albeback on November 18, 2011, 02:16:46 AM

Allan

The noses out off joint is a desired consequence. We can probably never generate enough ire to dislodge the rectal stick though.... :lol:

I like this design, and second the G. Anderson comment. I might have added a long wingtip (or 90 percent of the way to the wingtip) fuel tank joining the front and rear wings, am a turbulence worrier about those separate wingtips twisting the CG.

The late Mr Anderson was certainly a source of inspiration! :smiley:

That's an interesting idea about wingtip fuel tanks joining the wing tips. Wouldnt be difficult to achieve. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might just do that! :smiley:

lenny100

think th tip tanks would be a good final touch to a briliant idea
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Spey_Phantom

i like the way your thinking, great idea  :thumbsup:

Quote from: albeback on November 18, 2011, 05:43:02 AM
The late Mr Anderson was certainly a source of inspiration! :smiley:

i believe ol' Gerry is still very wel alive and kickin  ;)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

sideshowbob9

Yeah, get a bit of a Zero-X vibe looking at that. Great idea and model!  :thumbsup:

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

RussC

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Pablo1965

Mad Idea? It´s one of the most interestig biplanes I ever seen,  :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Ah, maybe I would have placed one of the wings as the plane above, and another as inferior, but that does not matter

The Big Gimper

Excellent idea and build.

The Hood will most certainly attempt to hijack or else blow up this aircraft on it's maiden flight.

FAB.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff