Main Menu

787 visit to Australia

Started by Aussie_superbug, November 20, 2011, 12:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie_superbug

I managed to have a look around her on Friday while at Melbourne Airport, and the best part was i was being paid for it as well.  :drink:

Brendon

MilitaryAircraft101

PR19_Kit

There's something unsettling about an airliner with HUDs. I found myself looking for the weapon pylons under the wings!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 20, 2011, 03:59:21 AM
There's something unsettling about an airliner with HUDs. I found myself looking for the weapon pylons under the wings!

Not half as strange as the HUD I saw on a Spitfire recently (in the '75 years of Spitfire' programme on the BBC):

(not my photo, source)

Martin H

I have to admit, I like the styling of the 787. And the current Boeing house colors suit it very well.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on November 20, 2011, 04:33:05 AM

Not half as strange as the HUD I saw on a Spitfire recently (in the '75 years of Spitfire' programme on the BBC):

Your getting HUD's and Gun Sights mixed up.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Big Gimper

Hey Brendon:

Nice pictures.  How many cup holders?   :wacko:

- Carl
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Hobbes

Quote from: Gondor on November 20, 2011, 08:00:41 AM

Your getting HUD's and Gun Sights mixed up.

Ah, I see now. I wasn't aware that they used projection gunsights in WW2.

Weaver

It's definitely a looker, but what happened to the "huge" windows it's CFC fuselage was supposed to make possible? Those don't look much bigger than regular ones.... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on November 20, 2011, 10:21:49 AM
Ah, I see now. I wasn't aware that they used projection gunsights in WW2.

They were called 'reflector gunsights' back then, and were effectively a single purpose HUD that just reflected the cross-hairs of the panel mounted sight into the pilot's sight-line.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

There were more advanced sights available in WWII as well: the earliest lead-computing gyro gunsights entered service in 1943. They were only used by the Brits and the Yanks, and they played a huge, and generally unrecognised, role in defeating the Luftwaffe by roughly doubling the accuracy of the average pilot.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Hobbes on November 20, 2011, 04:33:05 AM

(not my photo, source)

Errr, I think that is the reflector gun sight - which is a primitive sort of HUD, I suppose...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

MilitaryAircraft101

Technically, the reflector gunsight is a very early HUD, as the crosshairs are projected onto the glass panel, which is effectively the same as a pipper on a HUD..  :smiley:

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on November 20, 2011, 06:24:36 PM
There were more advanced sights available in WWII as well: the earliest lead-computing gyro gunsights entered service in 1943. They were only used by the Brits and the Yanks, and they played a huge, and generally unrecognised, role in defeating the Luftwaffe by roughly doubling the accuracy of the average pilot.

Errr, the Germans introduced their own gyroscopic gunsights in 1943 as well.  However, they weren't as successful as the American ones and often had to be locked into facing forward (which rather negated their purpose).  The gyros had a tendency to tumble under high accelerations apparently.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.