MIG-23 and -29 at Tyndall AFB

Started by Project D, November 20, 2011, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project D

Just browsing google maps and found a mig-23 and mig-29 stashed away in between all the phantom drones. has anyone else noticed this?

Project D

got a screen shot just to be sure and it is a 23 and a 29 hiding.

PR19_Kit

No doubt about it, well spotted.  :thumbsup:

I bet you can't go into 'Street View' and get the Bort nos. though...........  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Project D

I think in 'Street View' they may change to bits of Phantoms same as the others either side.  :thumbsup:

CanisD

Looking at the historical imagery in Google Earth, they've been there since at least 2005. The last image of the base is from 2007. There's another Mig-29 at Eglin AFB as well. Its east of the base by a couple of miles at  30°30'17.16"N,  86°21'49.16"W at some sort of triangular complex parked next to an A-10 and some other planes in a patch of woods. According to the Google Earth forums there are several more scattered around that area. I know we have several Fulcrums, either captured in Iraq, bought from Moldova or perhaps from Germany when they retired their East German models. Street view is banned from all US government facilities for security reasons, so that's no use.
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

Martin H

the Germam Fulcrums were sold to Poland for the token price of 1 euro for the whole fleet.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Project D

a lot cheaper than my LHS, must be shopping in the wrong places at those prices!

Martin H

LOL they would have got em FOC, apparently some German or EU law prevented that. They had to be sold, even if it was only a single Euro
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

I was doing some searching today. I couldn't find said Migs, but noticed a line of Mitsubishi MU-2s. I had no idea ! looks like I found the placesto do some a/c spotting anyway. Tyndall is an hour and a half from the Condo, but I think I'll take that trip in hopes of spotting an F-22  :thumbsup: :cheers: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Logan Hartke

The whole Florida panhandle is good for that. On one trip past Tyndall, Eglin, Hurlburt, and Pensacola a couple of years ago, I saw F-15s, F-22s, T-38s, an AFSOC MC-130, an AFSOC PC-12, and even an AFSOC Mi-17.

The MU-2s have been at Tyndall for years.

http://www.tyndall.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123029395

Cheers,

Logan

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 17, 2015, 02:08:18 PMTyndall is an hour and a half from the Condo, but I think I'll take that trip in hopes of spotting an F-22 

If you have not been the naval aviation museum in pensacola is a must if you are remotely close... You may be further south however.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Logan Hartke

The USAF Armaments Museum at Eglin isn't bad, either, if Pensacola is too far away.

Cheers,

Logan

Captain Canada

We're going to Fort Walton Beach on Okaloosa Island, so all are plenty close !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

last thing i know is, that in 1997, the USAF bought 21 ex-moldovan MIG-29A's, could be one of those.
the reason they bought the aircraft was to make sure they didnt fall into the wrong hands (Iran, Iraq, North-Korea,.....) as they were nuclear capable.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=41172

maybe its one of those aircraft  :unsure:

during the cold was, the United States obtained many Russian-built aircraft, most of witch from pilots from Soviet-block and Middle-Eastern countries who deserted to the west in those aircraft, the US had obtained a lot of aircraft of different types such as the Mig-15, 17, 21, 23, 29,....
these days its a lot easier to obtain these aircraft as many new NATO-Allies fly the old soviet Mig's.
the one in the picture, that looks pretty weathered and banged up could be an Iraqi war prize  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.