New model shop in RETFORD!

Started by markmarples, November 22, 2011, 02:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmarples

just nipped into town ot bank a cheque and found that a NEW toymaster has opened, i noticed a revell sign in the window so popped it

and found....

about 100 revell , airfix kits all at decent prices, also a paint rack with ennamel paints, glue, filler. i spoke to the chap who owns the franchise and he was surprised how well they are selling and has the revell rep back this afternoon to order more

he is going to order acrylic paints and more stock, as he said he been open a week and sold more kits than anything else!!!

im a happy bunny now as i dont have to drive 25+ miles to buy paint and cheap kits
Regards

Mark

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

NARSES2

Well thats good to hear about one opening
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

markmarples

Regards

Mark

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

Martin H

always good to hear the trend of model shops closing going in reverse :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Nice one!

I'm told that one has opened in Romiley near me, but I havn't had a chance to look yet.

I always try to divide my buying between ebay and the local hobby shops: can't complain at them closing if you don't spend any money there!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

Same here; my local hobby shop just expanded its Airfix range (a welcome addition) so I bought several and had them order another (the Saturn V).

raafif

sounds like good hobby news in the UK.  I'll have to stop by when I'm there in a few months.

I hope it's not going to be like here in Oz - they open for Christmas sales then disappear by mid-February -- but then, you have more than 8 dedicated hobbyists there...
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on November 22, 2011, 12:18:30 PM

I always try to divide my buying between ebay and the local hobby shops: can't complain at them closing if you don't spend any money there!

Try and do the same thing. Even go so far as to by two boxings of Airfix kits - one from MZ one from local Dept Store Alders and their Hornby concession
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on November 22, 2011, 12:18:30 PM
Nice one!

I'm told that one has opened in Romiley near me, but I havn't had a chance to look yet.

Turns out to be an odd mixture of sports gear and modelling stuff, in a shop unit fitted out very much on the cheap, trying to get the "gifts" market according to the proprietor. I asked if it was a permanent thing or just the for Christmas and the reply was "we'll see how it goes...".

Their stock seems to come from Jarvis (i.e. Airfix, supplies and railway scenic stuff) and Pocketbond. They've got a few of the Roden biplanes in: 1/48th DH.4s and DH.9s, 1/72nd Felixstowe flying boat etc... Not doing any favours on the price though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

I noticed a new model shop in Beverley a month or two back, pretty sparsely stocked but it's nice to see a new one.

Unfortunately, The Model Shop on Ferensway in Hull closed a few months back, that's been there as long as I can remember.  I think Modelzone opening nearby hit their takings & pushed them under, but they'd reduced their stock to a minimum & changed the opening hours to such a time that it was virtually impossible for me to shop there.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

I think a lot of these small model shops that have been around for eons are tied into really old style leases taken out in the 60's before the model boom. They got the shop and the flat above for what at the time was a fair rent but that was fixed over a 50 year lease, so by now they are dirt cheap. In S Norwood there are a still a couple 0f old gents and women's outfiters which still have 50's style stock, plus a model shop. I think the shop part is almost a hobby by now as most of the owners are in their 70's.

These leases are now expiring and they are all becoming fast food outlets  :banghead:

Chris

And no Dunc I don't shop at the old style gents or ladies outfitters  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Overkiller on December 02, 2011, 11:25:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 02, 2011, 01:06:35 AM
...And no Dunc I don't shop at the old style gents or ladies outfitters  ;D

The styles are too modern for you?  :wacko:

I'm definately having a curry night before Huddersfield show now  :wacko: :blink:

Aircav

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 03, 2011, 06:37:31 AM
Quote from: Overkiller on December 02, 2011, 11:25:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 02, 2011, 01:06:35 AM
...And no Dunc I don't shop at the old style gents or ladies outfitters  ;D

The styles are too modern for you?  :wacko:

I'm definately having a curry night before Huddersfield show now  :wacko: :blink:

No your not, I'm sharing a room with you don't forget.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader