McDonnel RF-101F Voodoo

Started by JayBee, November 22, 2011, 06:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Save that idea for the Matchbox kit you started with!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

It's passed on. That Matchbox kit is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late Matchbox kit. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. It should be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-Matchbox model.

With apologies to Michael Paline, John Cleese, and the script writers of Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

Get the picture?  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

lancer

Quote from: JayBee on April 05, 2014, 10:31:41 AM
It's passed on. That Matchbox kit is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late Matchbox kit. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. It should be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-Matchbox model.

With apologies to Michael Paline, John Cleese, and the script writers of Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

YOu mean you've lost it. Why didn't you just say so????
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kerick

You mean it kicked the bucket? :rolleyes:

What about for an organ donor? Or did you fling it against the wall so hard that nothing useful is left?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on April 05, 2014, 05:16:28 PM

You mean it kicked the bucket? :rolleyes:

What about for an organ donor? Or did you fling it against the wall so hard that nothing useful is left?

I would think that by now its probably lounging around at the local tip. I am sure a cheap one can be picked up somewhere to allow the FSW version to be built.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

Still, beautiful plumage!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

scooter

Quote from: kitbasher on April 06, 2014, 03:28:30 AM

Still, beautiful plumage!

The plummage don't enter into it.  Its bleeding demised!
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

This is an example of how whiffs deserve good kits to start with!
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

Another problem with the Voodoo. Maybe it is the Hoodoo or Baron Samedi but something does not want me to get this model finished anytime soon.
The Revel kit is a really lovely kit at least in terms of moulding with beautifully executed detail.
That is also what should happen to the person that designed the building sequence of the kit, yes EXECUTED.
Firstly fitting the cockpit interior. Do you glue it into one side of the fuselage first? No. The fuselage halves along with the front u/c bay are glued together, then you have to slide the cockpit up through the open base of the fuselage and forward over the u/c bay until it is in position. Word of warning, do NOT fit the seats or crew until you have managed this operation.
I have managed to crack the fuselage slightly doing this.  :rolleyes:

Next the wings.
You are meant to build up the wings and then add them to the fuselage. This may sound easy but it is not. The wing uppers have quite large locating tabs which fit into slots in the fuselage sides, sounds OK doesn't it. HA!
The slots are exactly that and to get the tabs into them you have to bend both outer wings down to enable the whole thing to fit then release the wings so that the tabs spring into the slots. This then gives you a nice snug fit of the wings to the fuselage, WRONG!
What you have are quite bad gaps between the wing upper surfaces and the fuselage sides.
I tried to solve this by using masking tape to hold the wings under tension while the glue set.
There are still gaps to fill, just a bit smaller than they would have been.

Right, full speed ahead.
OK fit the flaps which are really nicely detailed mouldings with lots of lovely internal detail, both on the flaps and the wing interior.
However the flaps are intended to be fitted in the open position as they have mounting lugs moulded in for this. I want to have them in the closed position so off with the lugs. They still will not fit in because of all that lovely interior detail getting in the way!
So get rid of all that detail, and they still will not fit. The shape of the flaps does not agree with the shape of the openings in the wing undersurface.
So trim, trim, trim, and at last they fit, at least on the underside.
Go to the top of the wing and where the rear portion of the flaps should be flush with the wing uppersurface it is not in fact there is a quite significant step which will need filling.

At this point I have given up as there are other projects on the go that have a higher priority.
This one goes back into the pending bays and I am off to the Jetstreams!

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kerick

sorry to hear of the difficulties. Another time it will look better.
Tophe the Wise

McColm

And I just thought it was only me that had those problems with builds.

Weaver

Uh huh - while they unquestionably produce some fine models, you definately get the impression that Revell have a B-team, don't you? I had some "interesting" experiences with a modern F-16B kit recently, including incorrect instructions, a cockpit tub that touched the inside of the fuse in so few places that it wouldn't stay glued and pilots who needed major surgery to get them to fit in their own seats.. :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I concur with Weaver's idea that Revell have a 'B Team' in action somewhere. Sadly they seem to design about half of Revell's airliner collection, and as most of you know I've got a lot of them! The 767 is a zinger, almost the first thing you're supposed to do is glue the nose leg in place....

Ok, so now you've got a 1'6" length of fuselage to sling around, on which you have to attach the wings, tailplane and other landing gear. And you're going to manage that without snapping off the fragile nose leg? NO CHANCE!  :banghead:

I've devised a method of attaching the leg right at the end of the assembly sequence, but if I can figure out how to do it, how come Revell can't?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I've got a few in the stash but was under the impression that they were just scaled down 48th birds....I guess not tho, as they have engraved panel lines etc.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?