McDonnel RF-101F Voodoo

Started by JayBee, November 22, 2011, 06:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Well I applied some putty this morning, and then this afternoon did a bit of dry sanding followed by a quick spray with Tamiya primer.
Here is the result.

Needles to say I am rather chuffed. Yes it does need a bit of tidying up but compared to what I had to go through when using the Matchbox kit  :drink: :party:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

That RF-101C nose looks great on just about anything, and really suits your Voodoo Jim.  :thumbsup:

I wonder if it would fit on a Hunter...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

You know Kit,
apart from the fact that it is far too fat (the Voodoo nose) it would just not look right.
The nose of the Mirage IIIR might fit.
Nah! not a good idea.
There are some aircraft that this idea would just not work on, unlike longer wings.  :rolleyes:

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

McColm

Was it ever considered for the Navy or Marines?

Gondor

The F-101 was purely designed and built for the US Air Force so there is no way it could land on an aircraft carrier.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

Mind you Alistair it could have landed on a carrier. Although I do not think it, or the carrier would be in any state to carry on operations afterwards.  :wacko:

Cats are not real. 

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on March 25, 2014, 03:17:33 PM
Mind you Alastair it could have landed on a carrier. Although I do not think it, or the carrier would be in any state to carry on operations afterwards.  :wacko:

I was working on the principle that McColm meant operationally, not just the once.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

Better to fly by the plane guard and punch out!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Nice work ! And all the spectators lined up behind it can hardly contain themselves !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Pellson

Quote from: JayBee on March 25, 2014, 12:55:43 PM
You know Kit,
apart from the fact that it is far too fat (the Voodoo nose) it would just not look right.
The nose of the Mirage IIIR might fit.
Nah! not a good idea.
There are some aircraft that this idea would just not work on, unlike longer wings.  :rolleyes:

Jim

The SF37 Viggen nose (Heller) will fit on an Airfix Hunter, provided that you are prepared to "adapt" the width somewhat. How I know? Guess..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Maybe a 1/100 or 1/144 RF-101C nose would fit a 1/72 Hunter?

My mind was thinking of an RF-5 nose, which is like a mini-RF-101C nose, originally, but you're right about it not fitting the Hunter's curvaceous shape. The Hunter FR10 nose is about the ugliest 'extra' that's ever been fitted to a Hunter and I was wondering about a replacement.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I would maybe take a 'tandem' seat nose and modify it back to a single seat (using the rear seat area as the seat area) and then add camera windows to the rest of it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

There's the Pavla Danish Draken set with a resin nose (successfully implanted it into an IAI Kfir) that should fit onto a Hunter, too?! A Mirage IIIR should also be a viable donation option, IIRC the Heller kit offers a recce nose as option?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 26, 2014, 06:31:57 AM
A Mirage IIIR should also be a viable donation option, IIRC the Heller kit offers a recce nose as option?

It does indeed, and I have a couple of them to hand, one of which is already spoken for.........  ;)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

This has been put slightly aside while I work on two other models, but to-day I happened to notice where it was sitting in the box of other bits.
SFW! It makes you think, although at the moment my thoughts are "SATAN GET THEE BEHIND ME!".

Cats are not real.