P-38 and Carrier Suitability

Started by KJ_Lesnick, November 23, 2011, 01:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Never was overly fond of the P-38 but that model merely confirms for me how fugly it is.   :blink:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

RussC

QuoteThe Grumman Skyrocket twin was not much smaller than a 38' though.

Not really, the P-38 was 9'1" longer, 10" larger in wingspan; 4,693 lbs heavier empty, 7,362 lbs at combat weight, and 10,700 pounds heavier when fully loaded (almost twice the weight of an F5F).  Spot-factor might have been an issue too as the spacing of the engine pods might have been further out than the F5F.

QuoteBiggest was the TBM Avenger. Of course B-25's were flown off the Hornet, not landed.

Technically there was a design called the TBY that was to weigh around 18,450 so probably the maximum operating weights would probably be at least that much.

rickshaw

QuoteNever was overly fond of the P-38 but that model merely confirms for me how fugly it is.    :blink:

I thought of the P-38 as being kind of funky, but in a kind of cool way.

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

MAD

tigercat

I've always liked the idea of a  Carrierer based Black Widow. The Tigercat  operated off carriers for at least one variantt and that must have been a big beast.

scooter

Quote from: tigercat on November 29, 2011, 08:22:18 AM
I've always liked the idea of a  Carrierer based Black Widow. The Tigercat  operated off carriers for at least one variantt and that must have been a big beast.

F7F-4Ns during Korea, in night interdiction roles.  Only 12 or 13 built.

Quote from: scooter on November 23, 2011, 07:57:17 PM
F7F-4N Tigercat (For Essex/Midway Class Operations)
Length: 45 ft 4 in (13.8 m)
Wingspan: 51 ft 6 in (15.7 m)
Height: 16 ft 7 in (5.1 m)
Wing area: 455 ft² (42.3 m²)
Empty weight: 16,270 lb (7,380 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 25,720 lb (11,670 kg)

And, for point of Reference, the P-38L specifications:
Length: 37 ft 10 in (11.53 m) (11.53 m)
Wingspan: 52 ft 0 in (15.85 m) (15.85 m)
Height: 12 ft 10 in (3.91 m) (3.91 m)
Wing area: 327.5 ft² (30.43 m²)
Empty weight: 12,800 lb (5,800 kg)
Loaded weight: 17,500 lb (7,940 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 21,600 lb (9,798 kg)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

famvburg

Not 'that' big. the P-61 was about the size of a B-25 & the other twin engined bombers. However, considering the takeoff performance the P-61 had, for its size, it wouldn't have been a bad candidate is my guess.

wagnersm

I've been amused by the US Navy's dislike for liquid cooled engines in airplanes. 

Especially as one of the first uses of the V12 Allison, a B model, were on the USN Airships Akron and Macon.

Steve

jcf

Quote from: wagnersm on November 29, 2011, 05:10:29 PM
I've been amused by the US Navy's dislike for liquid cooled engines in airplanes. 

Especially as one of the first uses of the V12 Allison, a B model, were on the USN Airships Akron and Macon.

Steve

Well, their dislike was based on operational experience with the liquid cooled Boeing FB and Curtiss F6C series
aircraft. They didn't like the added weight and maintenance complexity.

Anyhow, an airship is an entirely different kettle-of-fish than a single-engined carrier based airplane.

RussC

And the AJ2P Savage was in the same weight class as a P-61, and the later S2 Trackers. What would really have looked fine would be the photo-rec version of the widow- the F-15 Reporter, in Navy dark blue.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

famvburg

I didn't realize the AJ was similar weight to the P-61. Of course, it did have a jet engine in back to help it along, too.

Quote from: RussC on November 29, 2011, 11:09:43 PM

And the AJ2P Savage was in the same weight class as a P-61, and the later S2 Trackers. What would really have looked fine would be the photo-rec version of the widow- the F-15 Reporter, in Navy dark blue.

scooter

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 29, 2011, 09:51:13 PM
Quote from: wagnersm on November 29, 2011, 05:10:29 PM

Steve

Well, their dislike was based on operational experience with the liquid cooled Boeing FB and Curtiss F6C series
aircraft. They didn't like the added weight and maintenance complexity.

Anyhow, an airship is an entirely different kettle-of-fish than a single-engined carrier based airplane.

Especially one that could be coming back with battle damage.  How many P-47s got back to base missing half their engine versus the number of P-51s with leaking glycol?  I can see a liquid cooled twin but not single in the Navy
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Cliffy B

Quote from: RussC on November 29, 2011, 11:09:43 PM

A GSB reporter huh?  Found this on the net awhile back, nice collection of postwar USN RWs and Whiffs  :mellow:

http://bathead.com/modelaircraft.html

She does look nice doesn't she?  Now all she needs is folded wings and a tail hook  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

RussC

There we are ! And the back of the center pod could have held a J-47 for that little extra zoom too.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski