Lightning RF.6

Started by Project D, November 23, 2011, 02:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project D

I'm going to attempt to build a rocket powered Lightning similar to the NF-104. Both the Starfighter and Lightning were similar aircraft so why not try it as a British version. So far all i have is the rocket unit but i was thinking which Lightning would be better to start from and what other mods would be needed?

I'm thinking of doing this is natural metal with either 111 or 29 squadron markings just to be a bit different unless i find a more likely colour scheme.

Thanks for looking

deathjester

How about using the P.1 conversion kit - that would look very different!

Project D

Who makes a conversion in 1/72? I'll have a look but it'll more than likely start out as an f.3 or f.6 but anything as elaborate as rocket powered p.1.

PR19_Kit

Aeroclub did a vacform fuselage conversion of the P1A, designed to go with the Airfix original Lightning F1 but would probably work with the F3 too as the P1A's fin was included.

I'm not sure if they're still doing it though, as John Adams indicated at Telford that they would be concentrating on the white metal stuff in future.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Project D

Thanks Kit, do you reckon with some work it'd fit an F.6? I was thinking the bigger fuel tank would help with range aswell as the overwing tanks used for rocket fuel. I'm hoping to get this finished for Cosford aswell as my attempt at the PR-19 to display along side your own if you are attending and taking your?

Thanks for looking.

PR19_Kit

It won't matter what Frightening you use it with as only the wings and tail are used from the donor kit. So you could use F6 wings for the overwing tanks or an F3 if not. That's assuming you can find a P1A in the first place of course.

Here's the conversion below.

I'll be bringing a new PR19 for Cosford, the ultimate PR19b, as mentioned in the various threads. That's the one that really IS at Cosford, or so rumour has it.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Project D

I'll be on the hunt for one of those then now, I'll work on a F-6 based version as a back up but i'm going to go for P.1 version. I've got 2 of the rockets from the TSR.2MS to use so i'm open to options. Can't wait to see the new PR-19! hopefully i'll have my TR-19, RF-6 and TSR.3 and maybe my TSR liner. I've seem a BOAC one, is it yours Kit?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Project D on November 24, 2011, 11:48:51 AM
I've seem a BOAC one, is it yours Kit?

No, but I liked it a lot. I think it was Roger the Cabin Boy's model, the one at Telford I mean.

Regards
Kit

Project D

I think that's the one I've seen but i wasn't sure it had a forward fuselage extension as I'm at the stage with my RAF TSR liner and i didn't know if i should add a plug or not to it. Just realised I'd forgot one of my other secret options for Cosford that's already appeared on this forum as a TSR.3 so I'll need a new designation for my 41 squadron TSR.2 now.

PR19_Kit

The BOAC TSR2 was the same length as standard, but he blanked off the rear cockpit and added the pax windows behind and below it. A very clever optical illusion!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

mkhulu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 24, 2011, 03:09:50 AM
Aeroclub did a vacform fuselage conversion of the P1A, designed to go with the Airfix original Lightning F1 but would probably work with the F3 too as the P1A's fin was included.

I'm not sure if they're still doing it though, as John Adams indicated at Telford that they would be concentrating on the white metal stuff in future.

See that the Aeroclub website has been closed - do you perhaps have contact details for Aeroclub ?

Many thanks - Have a good weekend and best regards from Pretoria ;D

Going nowhere slowly

PR19_Kit

There's a pretty convoluted way of getting in touch with John Adams, 'Mr Aeroclub', but I can't remembetr what it is.

Can anyone else help out here please?

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

John had said he would deal through the Britmodeller forum, he goes by the user name 'john aero' over there.  He's also on eBay but I don't know what name he uses there
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Project D

Had a look about but can't find anything so i went with a F.3 and a F.6. Had a quick mock up and came up with the final set up of a larger nose cone with radar, an enlarged spine for extra fuel, F.6 fuselage and F.3 wings ( Bigger ailerons for better control  ;) ) with F.6 overwing tanks. I'm considering an engine change aswell by using Tornado afterburner cans ( which fit perfectly! )

Still not settled on a colour scheme yet, i have 29 squadron markings but i'd prefer a more realistic scheme for it if there was one?

Project D

Finished hacking and psr session today. Will have photos tomorrow and hopefully be ready for decals too. Deciced i'm going with the prototype scheme but with a twist, I can't decide if I should go with the BAe XP??? F.6 used for radar trials or the F.6 that crashed in the north sea and the American exchange pilot disappeared.

The colour scheme will be white overall with black fin, spine and nose with the rest of the fuselage white. The wings i'm not sure on black top surfaces and white undersides? it'll be finished as BAe owned and operated aircraft. It may also get an orange lightning flash and lightning wording as per the prototype if i can find some suitable decals.