Mitsubishi G7M1 `Katana` (Sword) Allied code name `Ellie`

Started by tc2324, November 26, 2011, 03:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

So, to cut a long story short, while I`m waiting for Paypal to verify my new bank card, (this means a few purchases I need to make are on hold for a few days), I needed something to keep me occupied and then remembered that I had the `left overs` from my Tu-90. I had always planned to do something with these so now seems a good time to start.

Forgive the title, but while I have made my mind up that this will be a late war Japanese aircraft, I haven`t come up with a prefix.

First things first though, and I need to get the two fuselages mated together and then work on the wings joints. Thats the hard bit with the rest being fairly cosmetic. :wacko:

More soon. :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Tophe

Wow: a lot of hardwork seems on your way, but have courage and do it! show us! (thanks)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

tc2324

Quote from: Tophe on November 27, 2011, 02:36:28 AM
Wow: a lot of hardwork seems on your way, but have courage and do it! show us! (thanks)

I`ll try Tophe....  ;D ;)

Started on the cockpit area first, going to put the glazed areas on. mask off and then spray. Also worked on a plan to make this a tail dragger, (second picure), as I want to try and get away from a Tu-16/B-29 hybrid look. Hopefully it will have that `Japanese` feel to it at the end of the build.

More soon. :wacko:

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Latest update on the weird and whacky...... :wacko:

Started multiple tasks with the first being getting the tail to fit right. Not a great fit with a lot of trimming involved but ended up with this which looks ok and it`s not even glued together yet......

Before I glue the tail all together I first had to put on the horizontal stabilizers and work out where I need to put a base plate so I can set the tail wheels into a good position.......

Next came the engine mounts. To give this aircraft a bit of a `Japanese` look, I`m going to rotate the mounts upside down. In the picture below the two engine mounts are the correct way up while the two on the right are my proposed fitting.......

..... and inbetween all this I started the long boring task of masking up the cockpit section. This is the bit I really, really dislike. A bit at a time my thinks....

Next up is the task of fitting the wings. This is`nt going to be easy and will need some major `surgery`.

More soon. ;D

Tiger, Tiger!

Taiidantomcat

Really good work! Looks like it fits very well  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Pablo1965

Quite a challenge, but it seems it will be a beauty. :thumbsup:

Green Dragon

"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

RussC

Very nice, kind of a happy middle between the Renzan design and the G10N Fugaku'.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

arkon

i'm with ya on the taping and paintig parts! great build so far :thumbsup:
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Thanks for the support guys. ;D

Now, with various parts complete, it was time for a quick mock up to look at the dimensions. I`m thinking that the main fuselage needs to be shortened, but would do you think..??

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Jeepers, that's HUGE!  :o (Says he having just built an almost 3 fit long 1/144 scale 777......  ;D)

It's 1/144 scale, isn't it? Maybe the fuse could do with a bit taken out aft of the wing, but not too much. Is it a Tu-16 Badger fuselage? I can't think of anything else that would have those big flats on each side.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: tc2324 on December 02, 2011, 03:32:19 PM

I`m thinking that the main fuselage needs to be shortened, but would do you think..??

This is great!  Yes, I would take a little rear fuselage off.  Perhaps where the triangle cut out is.  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 02, 2011, 06:54:44 PM
Quote from: tc2324 on December 02, 2011, 03:32:19 PM

I`m thinking that the main fuselage needs to be shortened, but would do you think..??

This is great!  Yes, I would take a little rear fuselage off.  Perhaps where the triangle cut out is.  

Good thinking! Theres where I would do it plus you don't have to fill it. Shorter is a little more shelf friendly too  :cheers: This really looks Japanese, very good vision on your part.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.