Mitsubishi G7M1 `Katana` (Sword) Allied code name `Ellie`

Started by tc2324, November 26, 2011, 03:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussC

Proceeding nicely. Turning the cowls upside down is quick-on-your-feet thinking. I'll go with a slight pruning of the fuselage too, with the ideas already posted. You could in fact try taking 20 or 30mm at a time and doing a quick layout check like you pictured and see how the total vibe is.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

PR19_Kit

Quote from: RussC on December 03, 2011, 01:26:01 AM
......and see how the total vibe is.

I like the concept of 'the total vibe'.  :thumbsup:

I'm sure we all use it when we're in the early build stage but I've never heard it given a title before, well thought out RussC.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 02, 2011, 05:11:46 PM
Jeepers, that's HUGE!  It's 1/144 scale, isn't it?

First I`d like to thank you all for your input and ideas, Kit, it`s 1/72 and being Japan`s answer to the `Amerika` bomber, it has to be big. :wacko:

So here` where it`s at tonight.

The major surgery got under way with masking off and then using a marker pen for a clean cutting line.

I made sure I cut just outside of the bomb bay doors to avoid problems later with their fitting. Filed the edges down so they are resonably smooth and straight

Needed to build a main wing spar to help with getting the wings on and to stay on. Turned to my old pal sprue, got the drill out and set about making sure that were straight and level.

Next I turned towards the back end and with the help of some sprues I again built a platform for the rear u/c to sit on.

Last but not least, glued the rear and mid fuselages together and then glued the sprues into place.

More soon. ;D

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

That is excellent work  :thumbsup: Sprue can be a lifesaver
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:  As with all whifs and builds, as long as it`s entertaining and fun, you can`t go wrong.

Have to say that this is a lot of fun my end and so far no probs.

So..., with the kids at their granparents today I can crack on with the delicate matter of mating the fuselage halfs and later the wings together.

Back to my trusty mate Sprue, where would I be without him...

and then the task of connecting it to the rear section.....

....set at room temp, leave for a few hours and then check all ok....

Tiger, Tiger!

Gondor

Have you checked that the incidence of both the wings and tailplains will look ok?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Spey_Phantom

wow, thing indeed looks frikkin huge  :o
i think the IJN would have been capable of attacking LA from bases in Japan with a weapon like that.

looks very impressive  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

tc2324

Quote from: Gondor on December 04, 2011, 04:29:57 AM
Have you checked that the incidence of both the wings and tailplains will look ok?

Gondor

I hope so..... ;D

Tonights update. Below is a shot of the final layout. Everything is now stuck together, (excluduing props), so it`s now a case of waiting overnight and seeing if I got my sums right and the wings stay on.

From the trailing edges to the joined area is the bomb bay which has kept some length to the aircraft but I didn`t see the point of flying all the way to America and only being able to dropping litter on your target. I`m also having to adjust and lengthen the main u/c legs so that the props clear the ground. :banghead:

Incase your wondering what the brown thing is beside the cockpit..., well, thats an SE.5 fuselage to give you an idea of the scale. :blink:

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Neat ? *ahem* I meant frickin' awesome ! It's bloody huge !

:party:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

flappydaffy

sweet looking bird :) i'll be monitoring this build closely :)

NARSES2

It bears a resemblence to a couple of real Japanese 4 engined projects, which will make it fun if it graces a table at a show  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.