WTD 1/72 Mid Upper Turret

Started by Gondor, November 27, 2011, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

As the title says I am looking for a mid upper turret that would carry either a pair of 0.5in cal machine guns or even a pair of 20mm cannons for my Lancaster Mk XL build.

Any reasonable help request or exchange considered.

I may also be looking for a set of matching underwing pylons from either an A-1 Skyraider or A-37 attack aircraft.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

OK, I have been offered some Airfix A-1 Skyraider underwing pylons so it looks as if I just need that turret. Sudgestes sources are: B-17's, B-24's, B-26's and posibly the Hasegawa Post War Lancaster if it is the flat sided turret.

Thanks in advance

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

This thread has nothing to do with Radish's misses

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on November 28, 2011, 02:00:17 PM
This thread has nothing to do with Radish's misses

Gondor

Very good  :thumbsup:

I'll have a look Alistair, but don't hold your breath
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I have checked the turret from a B-17 I found in the stash and it doesn't have the right kind of shape to the glazing that I am after. The glazing has to be symmetrical front and back as well as side to side. I can use the innards of the B-17 turret I found but not the glazing so if that can be found by someone I would be very thankful. Two would be even better  ;D

Thanks in advance

Gondor

kitnut617

I believe the turret you need is one found on a B-24 Liberator, I've read somewhere that the Canadian built Lanc's got those.  There's even a real one displayed at the Aerospace Museum in Calgary which comes out of the Mk.X the museum has.

This one:

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 29, 2011, 12:31:30 PM
I believe the turret you need is one found on a B-24 Liberator, I've read somewhere that the Canadian built Lanc's got those.  There's even a real one displayed at the Aerospace Museum in Calgary which comes out of the Mk.X the museum has.

Exactly the kind of turret I am after. Nice picture by the way, which dosent show a mud upper turret at all! Thank you anyway. THe Mk VII had the turret installed above the rear of the bomb bay. Thats why I am after two turrets, one for a r/l Lancaster and the other for my Lancaster Mk XL which I hope to finnish in time to get it to the Cosford show next year.

Gondor

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on November 29, 2011, 01:16:45 PM
Nice picture by the way, which dosent show a mud upper turret at all! Thank you anyway. Gondor

Oops! sorry, didn't explain it very well but the turret on display 'in' the museum came out of this Mk.X, which is outside

rickshaw

You could make one, if you're desperate, out of a plastic blister pack for medicines.  I've used several for bulged windows on my recent RAN Rotodyne.   While they were rectangular, I've noticed that several medicines I take came with dished, circular blisters which were about the right size for a 1/72 scale aircraft turret.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Ya, the one on the CWHM's Lanc is round. I've heard people complain that it is bogus, but I couldn't argue as I don't know myself. Makes sense that it's from a B-24.

Thanks for clearing that up !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

The Lancaster B.VII had the Martin turret and it was fiurther forward than the standard mid upper on the earlier Lancs.  The Hasegawa kit does not have that turret - and I have all of the ones they released.  True, the post war one does have the Lincoln tailfins, bulged Tallboy bomb bay and the FN82 tail turret, but no Martin one.  IIRC, I nicked mine from a Marauder.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Useing Volume One of "British Aircraft Armament" by R Wallace Clark as a refference, the Martin 250 CE upper turret was used on the B-24, Baltimore, Ventura, PV-1 and PV-2, Lancaster VII, Sunderland IV and B-26. There were ,omor differences between the versions used for each aircraft type but all would look the same from the outside so any spares for any of the above kits would be welcome.

Gondor

Gondor

Yippee.... Just found/rediscovered that the B-24D I have in my stash has a Plava conversion set to allow me to build a Costal Comand variant. This includes a vac formed set of canopies which include the dorsal turret which has exactly the right shape that I am looking for ! Result !

I am going to combine the kits plastic with the turret workings from an Academy SB-17. there will be some fetteling to do but not to much I am hopeing. This means I can forge ahead with the Lancaster B XL with the intent of finnishing it in time for Cosford.

I still am looking for similar parts with the intent of produceing a Lancaster B VII as a real world build.

Gondor

kitnut617

Actually come to think about it --- Flightpaths Lincoln conversion set has all the clear vac canopies and turrets, it might be worth an email to them to see if you get some of it as each clear part is a separate moulding.

A few years ago I bought the conversion set direct from Flightpath, I asked at the time if I could buy some extra dorsal turrets as I needed six of them (for my Avro Chadderton build) and I was told I could.

Here's a pic of what I got, clear vac turret canopy, 20mm guns and turret ring bases

Here's a side profile of the turret, does it look like what you're after ?

Gondor

Thanks for the info Kingnut617. The turret shape is simmiler the turret ring and armament is wrong. Nice to know that I can order parts from Flightpath as part sets rather than haveing to buy a whole set.

Gondor