World War 2: 1946 -> 19??

Started by Spey_Phantom, November 30, 2011, 12:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

inspired by thedarkmaster's "The Empires Twilight" build theme and after rewatching the "secret aircraft of World war 2" documentaries in the history channel, i got pretty tempted to make a similar project.

immediatly, i got ideas of German Aircraft carriers in the Pacific and atlantic, German invasion of South America, a German/Argentine Falklands invasion, the USSR turning bad early ....

i got to many ideas for backstories to write them all down at once, so i decided to build my way through them.
putting my 1/144 builds in the cooler for a moment, not to mention my 1/72 stash needs some serious slimming  :-\

to start with, im gonna be building these 3 flitzers.

1st one will be standard OOB, 2nd one a recon/spy version and the 3rd one is the revival of my He155 Indiana Jones build.

on the idea list (for 2011/2012) are:

-Fw190A in Argentine Air Force markings
-Free Russian Air Force Me262 (as seen on History Channel)
-Various Belgian Wehrmacht (Belgian Forces in the Congo) models.
-various Luft46 aircraft
-Japanese jets (no idea what yet)
-various RAF/USAAF/USAF aircraft
-some early SAM sites

first up:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

RussC

Quote from: Nils on November 30, 2011, 12:04:01 PM
inspired by thedarkmaster's "The Empires Twilight" build theme and after rewatching the "secret aircraft of World war 2" documentaries in the history channel, i got pretty tempted to make a similar project.

immediatly, i got ideas of German Aircraft carriers in the Pacific and atlantic, German invasion of South America, a German/Argentine Falklands invasion, the USSR turning bad early ....

i got to many ideas for backstories to write them all down at once, so i decided to build my way through them.
putting my 1/144 builds in the cooler for a moment, not to mention my 1/72 stash needs some serious slimming  :-\

to start with, im gonna be building these 3 flitzers.

1st one will be standard OOB, 2nd one a recon/spy version and the 3rd one is the revival of my He155 Indiana Jones build.

on the idea list (for 2011/2012) are:

-Fw190A in Argentine Air Force markings
-Free Russian Air Force Me262 (as seen on History Channel)
-Various Belgian Wehrmacht (Belgian Forces in the Congo) models.
-various Luft46 aircraft
-Japanese jets (no idea what yet)
-various RAF/USAAF/USAF aircraft
-some early SAM sites

Japanese jets- Ideas for these, everybody builds the Kikka, a few build the Ki-202 Karyu out of a 262 and the rocket powered Shusui. But there was an attack bomber in the works, a contemporary of the Ar 234 in the form of the Yokosuka R2Y Keiun, which did fly with a 6 bladed prop but the definitive version was to use wing mounted turbojets.
  The what - ifs are the real thing though... how about doing something like what the Russians did to the Yak 9 by underslinging a turbojet on the nose of a prop airframe? Also similars to the Messerschmitt P1101... Take a Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien and fairing the nose down to a single low mounted turbojet like done in the Yak 15. Take a Raiden and put two low mounted side by side jets up front like the Mig 9. Take a Zero and give it wingtip ramjets like those Mustang ideas or on the Yak 11's. Take a Shiden-Kai and tail mount a jet in addition to the props like in the Ryan Fireball design. Take the Mansyu Ki-98 twin boom pusher and swap it to jet power and create a Nipponese Flitzer. Take a G4m Betty or a Yokosuka Ginga and convert to jet power, or better yet, a Emily flying boat.
  The idea is that the airframes that were in production or development in Japan would be converted to jets or mixed propulsion ahead of any totally new designs, also any allied designs might be copied so think of a Mitsubishi Meteor!

SAM sites- This is fascinating because there are so many types but only a few as kits, the Russian SA2 and the most modern SA-300 are about it for them, and the Airfix Bloodhound and an old kit of the Nike Hercules plus a kit of the Patriot in 1/48 and thats about all. For anything else, slim pickings- A bunch on tiny scale SAM's and ICBM's as a display collection from Monogram occasionally reissued and another of US/USSR ICBMs in same scale as a kind of macabre chess set in the same scale in the 1980's. There are a lot of rocket designs un-kitted, and rocket sites are BIG dioramas really. You ever want to see how massive these can be, beyond the rocketry alone, try these:

nikemissile.org

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF-88

I visited this site and its quite a day's exploring.

For the Bigger ICBM's this place is about 90 minutes from me in AZ. Great trip in summer, its cool down there....

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

There was an older Titan system predating this one, even more massive-

http://www.terrastories.com/titan/

http://www.missilebases.com/denver

Been to one of these near Sturgis SD, its like an underground city but even the topside was massively built.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

The Wooksta!

RS Resins did a slew of Luftwaffe SAMS in the late '90s, all to 72nd.  Extratech also did the Feuerlillie.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

RussC

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 30, 2011, 02:27:54 PM
RS Resins did a slew of Luftwaffe SAMS in the late '90s, all to 72nd.  Extratech also did the Feuerlillie.

And the Enzian missile could be coverted from a Me-163 Komet too. If building a site with guidance systems, there are kits of the small and the large Wurzburg radars in Resin and P/E, even in 144th scale as well as 72nd.

It would be interesting to whiff together SAMS from the 30's and 40's for the RAF and USAAF, huh? Imagine the Dec 7th attack running into a missile defence of optically guided R/C weapons or Eagle Day getting blunted by rocketry.

Doc Yo

Condor, out of the Czech republic makes a 1/72 Enzian 1. It comes in a small set with the Hagelkorn glide bomb. I remember seeing the RS kits, but they were a little hard to come by on this side of the pond. Condor also makes a very nice 1/72 V-2, which could do for a larger scale
Wasserfall. ( probably 1/35th~I think the Wasserfall was about half the size of theV-2. )

MilitaryAircraft101

Want a list of all the German Experimental Projects with wiki pages?  :wacko:
Arado E.381 - Parasite Fighter
Arado E.555 - Long range "Amerika Bomber"
Bachem Ba 349 - Rocket Interceptor
Blohm & Voss BV 143 - Glide Bomb
Blohm & Voss BV 144 - Airliner
Blohm & Voss P.178 - Dive Bomber
Blohm & Voss P.194 - Ground Attacker
Dornier Do 335 - Heavy Fighter
Dornier Do 635 - Heavy Fighter
Dornier P 256 - Night Fighter
DFS 194 - Rocket Aircraft
DFS 228 - Reconnaissance
DFS 332 - Experimental
DFS 346 - Rocket Aircraft
Flettner FI 184 - Reconnaissance
Flettner FI 185 - Experimental
Flettner FI 265 - Experimental
Flettner FI 282 - Experimental
Focke Wulf Ta 183 - Jet Fighter
Focke Wulf Fw 191 - Bomber
Focke Wulf Ta 283 - Jet Fighter
Focke Wulf Fw 300 - Transport
Focke Wulf Ta 400 - Long Range "Amerika Bomber"
Focke Wulf Treibflugel - Concept
Heinkel He 176 - Rocket Aircraft
Heinkel He 178 - Turbojet Aircraft
Heinkel He 274 - Heavy Bomber
Heinkel He 277 - Heavy Bomber
Heinkel P.1077 - Rocket Interceptor
Horten Ho 229 - Fighter/Bomber
Horten H.XVIII - Intercontinental Bomber
Junkers Ju 187 - Dive Bomber
Junkers Ju 332 - Heavy Glider
Junkers Ju 288 - Bomber
Junkers Ju 390 - Transport/Patrol
Junkers Ju 287 - Bomber Demonstrator
Junkers EF 009 - Jet Fighter
Junkers EF 61 - Bomber
Junkers Ju 322 - Military Glider
Junkers EF 126 - Fighter
Junkers EF 131 - Bomber
Junkers EF 132 - Bomber
OKB-1 140 - Bomber
OKB-1 150 - Bomber
Messerschmitt Me-209-II - Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-261 - Reconnaissance
Messerschmitt Me-262 - Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-263 - Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-264 - Long Range "Amerika Bomber"
Messerschmitt Me-265 - Heavy Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-309 - Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-329 - Heavy Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-409 - Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-509 - Fighter
Messerschmitt Me-609 - Heavy Fighter
Messerschmitt P.1092 - Experimental
Messerschmitt P.1095 - Fighter/Ground Attack
Messerschmitt P.1101 - Fighter
Messerschmitt P.1106 - Fighter
Messerschmitt P.1112
Goppingen Go 9 - Experimental Pusher

dumaniac

now that is a list !!

lots of modelling fun there

thanks

Bernie

Spey_Phantom

ok, the first one is done  ;D

Focke Wulf FW-226A-1, Jagdgeschwader 1, Defence of the Reich

August 17, 1945. emerging from the Focke Wulf factory in Bremen was the latest aircraft for the defence of Germany.
designed by Dr. Kurt Tank, the same mind that created the FW-190 fighter, was Focke-Wulf's first Jet Fighter, the FW-226, better known as "Flitzer".

on the tarmac attending the aircrafts first flight was Herman Goering, chief of the Luftwaffe. the aircraft was testflown by German fighter ace Adolf Galland. the aircraft was the first to be installed with a hybrid engine, comprising a He.11 turbofan jet engine and beneath it a Rocket engine, to give the aircraft an impessive climbing ability after take off.

Goering was so impressed with the performance of this aircraft that he placed an order over 400 units.
the first FW226A-1's were delivered to JG1 in Finow in December '45, and was operational at the end of January 1946.
the FW226 saw action for the first time in Februari 1946, when 16 aircraft of JG1 took of to intercept a flight of USAAF B-17 bombers heading towards Berlin. during theyre first combat mission they shot down 6 P-51D and a Gloster Meteor F.3.

later in 1946, various other variants were being build, including a 2-seat Night Fighter and a reconnaissance version.
the FW226 saw action in Europe, the Eastern front and was also build in tocke Wulf's new factory in Argentina, to provide the Luftwaffe with aircraft for the invasion of South America.

Model: 1/72 Revell FW Flitzer
Decals: OOB

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

MilitaryAircraft101

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Taiidantomcat

The more I look the more I like  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

RussC

Imagine a mano y mano duel of the Flitzer and a DH Vampire.

redstar72

Quote from: RussC on December 07, 2011, 01:28:01 PM
Imagine a mano y mano duel of the Flitzer and a DH Vampire.

Or with this one:

Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

Spey_Phantom

BUMP.

i know this thread has been seriously lacking an more aircraft, the reason i havent continued on it is that ive recently been having a case of "Modellers block"  :angry:

thought i might get some ispiration and motivation by (continuing) building some luft'46 aircraft.
there is 1 secret project under construction at the moment, witch is now about 90 percent done.

a new Arado Ar.555 kit is expected to arrive in the coming days.
im gonna try to get started on another luftwaffe aircraft and an allied aircraft tonight.

pics to follow  :mellow:...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.