Seeking large armored personnel carrier.

Started by seadude, December 06, 2011, 05:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I've never built any armor models before, but an idea just hit me last night for a future WHIF (What If) project.

I'm looking for a modern large armored personnel carrier, preferably wheeled, but I can modify a tracked carrier to wheeled if needed. I'm not really concerned about the outside of the carrier and outside detail, but rather am more concerned with the interior and a lot of troop/stowage space. I need an APC that I can detail the hell out of the interior, but also be able to have modelers view the inside, so I'll have to have as many access doors and hatches open as possible.

What options are there for kits that might come close to my needs, particuarly in 1/35 or any larger scales? Anything good for the following:
Stryker
LAV-25
LVTP-7
Other choice?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

rickshaw

Try the Boxer kit from Hobbyboss.   HUGE wheeled carrier.  Surprisingly little internal room though.  All that armour doesn't leave much room!

Alternatively, LVTP-5.  Huge amphibious tracked carrier from the 1950s-60s.  Used by USMC.  AFV club IIRC does one.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Real world, none of which, as Brian observed about the Boxer, actually have much interior room ...
or movie/fantasy world like the APC from Aliens in which the interior is far larger than the exterior?  ;D

The best source of info on wheeled AFVs and the modelling of same is the War Wheels site:
http://www.warwheels.net/index.html

Another option is that you pick a vehicle type/drivetrain you like and mount it to a body you build yourself,
that way you can arrange the interior any way you like.  ;D

sandiego89

The M-113 has lots of hatch openings on top and rear door so is excellent to show off detail of the troop compartment.  Not a huge vehicle, but would be a great candidate for making it a different scaleorama- like putting 1/48 or 1/72 scale weapons and crew in/on it.  The mortar carrier version has most of the top open.  Many options for weapons, gear etc.  Both Tamiya and Academy make kits for @$20 US. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

pyro-manic

BTR-70/80
Boxer GTK (Revell have recently brought out a very nice kit of this)
Type 96 (Japan. Not sure if there's a kit)
VAB (France. Heller do/did a kit) 4x4 or 6x6 versions.

There are also a variety of Chinese wheeled vehicles that have been kitted by Trumpeter and Hobbyboss. Worth a look.

Alternatively, take a 6x6 truck kit and build your own armoured shell onto it.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

seadude

What good kits are there of the LTVP-7 Marine amphib carrier? From what pics I have seen on the Net of the interior of this vehicle, this might be the one I'll go with.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

rickshaw

Tamiya, Hobbyboss, Academy, Lee versions are available.  Only the Tamiya is actually accurate AFAIUI.  The others are all based on a motorised model and are inaccurate.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 06, 2011, 07:28:52 PM
Type 96 (Japan. Not sure if there's a kit)

Trumpy do one.  They've got a B model coming out too, just differs in armament.
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU01557

Trumpy also do a BTR 60.  It's an older 50's design, but has an open top so the interior is detailed.  They've got BTR-70 & BTR-80's due out too don't know if they'll come with an interior.  Don't bother with the Zvezda kits as they don't.
http://www.trumpeter-china.com/a/en/product/armor/1_35_Series/2011/0607/1902.html

Before buying a kit, check the reviews to see if they come with an interior, suprisingly few do.

Black Dog & Dtoys do an interior for the AFV Club Styker, but they cost more than the kit:
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=40&products_id=1483&osCsid=mefdjv7s2s7h0moica1uot7i37
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

revell has the TPz.1 Fuchs available in both 1/72 and 1/35
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

deathjester

Hobbyboss do a real nice V-150 APC in three different armament versions for a good price.  I can get these...

The Rat

Saw two 1/1 scale M113s going down the highway today on the back of a flatbed but I couldn't flag down the driver. Sorry, I tried.  ;D :tank:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

You know, no matter how many times I look at this thread, I keep seeing the title as half of a lonely hearts ad:

"Seeking: large armoured personnel carrier, for companionship or maybe something more serious......"

:wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

I keep seeing Sea King large armoured personnel carrier, which could be an impressive whiff! :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.