Airfix Starter Kits - which One ?

Started by NARSES2, December 09, 2011, 06:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilitaryAircraft101

mmm, maybe the F-5, they're really quite simple to build.  ;)

lancer

Just finished helping my 6 1/2 y/o nephew with his first real kit. The Revell 144th Concorde.  And, apart from the transfers, he pretty much built the whole thing himself. he even painted it - by rattle can of course. He wanta sodding blackbird as his next one, oh and membership to the airfix modelers club for crimbo!!!!  The only drawback.. It's my tools and stuff he uses :o :o :o
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

ChrisF

Everyone needs to do a spitfire ! Its a right of passage !

And you can tell him war stories as ya go ! Teach him a hero is not in fact a footballer :p

Rheged

Quote from: ChrisF on December 09, 2011, 03:58:56 PM
Everyone needs to do a spitfire ! Its a right of passage !

And you can tell him war stories as ya go ! Teach him a hero is not in fact a footballer :p

Players with the oval ball are more heroic !  But the really massive heroes are the  Bomber Command crews (nothing against other light blues) who flew over Germany  for wages of next to nothing a day. Or the Coastal Command crews who flew hour after hour of boredom, protecting convoys  "just in case"

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

I'd suggest the real heroes are those that went, even if they didn't want to, or were terrified and still did their job and did it to the best of their abilities and didn't make it back home.  Doesn't matter what the colour of the cloth they wore, where they served and in what capacity.  We all owe quite a debt to them and we should not, I suggest, ever bloody well forget it.  Some may have served in more difficult circumstances than other but who can look the families of the fallen in the face and say, "Sorry, mate he wasn't really a hero..."?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on December 10, 2011, 02:25:18 AM
I'd suggest the real heroes are those that went, even if they didn't want to, or were terrified and still did their job and did it to the best of their abilities and didn't make it back home.  Doesn't matter what the colour of the cloth they wore, where they served and in what capacity.  We all owe quite a debt to them and we should not, I suggest, ever bloody well forget it.  Some may have served in more difficult circumstances than other but who can look the families of the fallen in the face and say, "Sorry, mate he wasn't really a hero..."?

You have expressed this much better than I did.  Thanks!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Right before this subject gets sidetracked completely, which this site has a marvellous ablity to do  ;D I think it will have to be the Spitfire because, as someone rightly says, it is a right of passage plus the Gnat so he can take it home with him after Christmas as his first build alone kit.

Cheers again lads  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MilitaryAircraft101

Welcome mate  :thumbsup: Hope he enjoys.. Still remember the Tigger as my first  :wub:

kitbasher

Spitfire, Chris.  It's the law. 
Second choice the Tomahawk - can never go wrong with a sharkmouth when you're a kid.  I remember having an Airfix Kiityhawk as a youngster and thinking it looked so exciting with those teeth!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

RussC

My first was a box set of 4 shrinkwrapped together, Spit, P-51, 109 and a Zero. Each was molded in silver color styrene.

Good tymes.

Go for the Spitfire.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

dragon

Kids always go for the "Coolness" factor.
Give the kid a limited choice of "cool" kits to choose from.
My personal choice, given being in a position to get a kid started in model building, would be the 1/72 Angel Interceptor.  It has few parts and still looks pretty cool.  There is no way to make it look "bad" or "wrong"  since it is a "Science Fiction" kit. 
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dragon on December 10, 2011, 06:02:49 PM
There is no way to make it look "bad" or "wrong"  since it is a "Science Fiction" kit. 

That still wouldn't stop any 'kid JMNs' from commenting on its 'accuracy' though..........  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: MilitaryAircraft101 on December 09, 2011, 01:55:46 PM
mmm, maybe the F-5, they're really quite simple to build.  ;)

Per leeeese..not the Airfix F-5. Im now retired and still deeply traumatized by that one. :-\ :-\ :banghead:

Sorry to stray from the thread Chris. :wacko:

:cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Geoff

Quote from: rickshaw on December 10, 2011, 02:25:18 AM

Well said!

ChrisF

Sorry for starting the veer off the topic it was all my fault...

But anyway point was... Spitfire, So you can tell war stories :)